Re: Need a Source for Pins

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 11, 2011
      > Anyone know of anyone making and/or selling pins to hold veils and hats and the like ???
      >
      > I need fancy if you know of any!

      Contact Mark at http://medievalwares.com/ He generally has some for Pennsic, even though they are not listed on the page. We have purchased simple copper pins from him before, and he has authentic antiquities as well.

      Historic Enterprises has pins readily available (and will be at Pennsic as well): http://historicenterprises.com/pins-dressing-pkg-of-4-or-10-p-1356.html?cPath=102_165

      Cheers, Folo
      www.micelfolcland.org
    • Kathy Keeler
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 11, 2011
        Sir Deotrich and Mistress Leonora in the Outlands have been making
        veil (and sleeve) pins.
        Email foxrydegardens@... or if you are on Facebook, go to
        Foxryde Gardens there.

        I"m too early for veil pins but bought some anyway because they were
        so pretty.
        Agnes

        On Jul 11, 2011, at 8:08 PM, Cilean_69 wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > Anyone know of anyone making and/or selling pins to hold veils and
        > hats and the like ???
        >
        > I need fancy if you know of any!
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Cilean

      • Fred Zeiler
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 11, 2011
          I been making glass veil pins if your interested.

          Frederick

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 12, 2011
            Victorian Trading has beautiful hair pins and hat pins.....

            http://www.victoriantradingco.com/

            look in vintage jewels....

          • Diane Dooley
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 12, 2011
              Victorian hat and hair pins are much fancier that medieval veil and sleeve pins. The medieval ones are more like very sturdy straight pins.

              Tasha

              Sent from my iPhone
            • pixel39
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 12, 2011
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Cilean_69" <cilean@...> wrote:

                > Hi
                >
                > Anyone know of anyone making and/or selling pins to hold veils and hats and the like ???
                >
                > I need fancy if you know of any!
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Cilean

                I make pins, after the examples in Dress Accessories (so they're 14th c.-ish) and I cheat horribly, but they're the right size and they look ok. The style I am emulating are the ones that are about .5mm, brass, and have a bead on the one end. Mine don't have the collet or the peening (although I am working on something that will approximate that look) but they do pass the 10-foot rule. I use jeweler's cement to glue the beads onto the pins, and .5mm brass wire from the local hobby store cut into 2 1/2" lengths.

                You could also use 24- or 22-gauge brass headpins of the appropriate length, which would look better and help the placing of the bead. I have found that 2 1/2" for a veil pin is a good length for me.

                YIS,

                Margaret fitzWilliam
              • Susanne Hibbert
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 12, 2011
                  Where can we find example of a "bead" on the head of a period pin?
                  Susana

                  ________________________________
                  > Anyone know of anyone making and/or selling pins to hold veils and hats and the
                  >like ???
                  >
                  > I need fancy if you know of any!
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Cilean

                  I make pins, after the examples in Dress Accessories (so they're 14th c.-ish)
                  and I cheat horribly, but they're the right size and they look ok. The style I
                  am emulating are the ones that are about .5mm, brass, and have a bead on the one
                  end. Mine don't have the collet or the peening (although I am working on
                  something that will approximate that look) but they do pass the 10-foot rule. I
                  use jeweler's cement to glue the beads onto the pins, and .5mm brass wire from
                  the local hobby store cut into 2 1/2" lengths.

                  You could also use 24- or 22-gauge brass headpins of the appropriate length,
                  which would look better and help the placing of the bead. I have found that 2
                  1/2" for a veil pin is a good length for me.

                  YIS,

                  Margaret fitzWilliam

                • Michael Hurley
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 12, 2011
                    On Jul 12, 2011, at 12:39 PM, Susanne Hibbert wrote:
                    > Where can we find example of a "bead" on the head of a period pin?
                    > Susana

                    They're shown in the Museum of London's Dress Accessories book, as I
                    recall. Reconstructing History used to sell some gorgeous veil pins
                    with coral beads on the top but they don't show them anymore, more's
                    the pity.

                    Here are photos of coral headed, glass headed and pewter headed pins
                    from London excavations:

                    http://www.kostym.cz/Anglicky/2_Detaily/01_Doplnky/II_01_30.htm

                    that I found through the always useful:

                    http://larsdatter.com/