woods: looking for a source

  • Cynthia Ley
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
      On a related note, I am trying to find out what, if any, woods were
      imported to England during the 14th century. Clues for hunting, anyone?

      thanks!
      Arlys,
      An Tir
    • Fred Zeiler
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
        Arlys,

        Is there a type of wood you are looking for?

        Frederick

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
          > On a related note, I am trying to find out what, if any, woods were
          > imported to England during the 14th century. Clues for hunting, anyone?

          Here are a few notes that might give you hints for where and what to search:

          http://www.dougmccoy.us/ELB.html: "The first documented import of yew bowstaves to England was in 1294. In 1350 there was a serious shortage, and Henry IV of England ordered his royal bowyer to enter private land and cut yew and other woods."

          http://medievalwoodworking.org/articles/The%20Northern%20European%20Lumber%20Trade%20in%20the%20Middle%20Ages.pdf: On medieval timber trade

          http://www.localhistories.org/norwich.html: "The main export from Norwich was wool. Imports included woad for dyeing, timber and pitch, wine, millstones and fish from Great Yarmouth."

          http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36073: Documents on imports into London in the late 15C. There are probably other revcords of the like that you can search for earlier times.

          On the other hand, http://mygeologypage.ucdavis.edu/cowen/~gel115/115CH11coal.html notes that: "The first import of Scandinavian timber is recorded from England as early as 1230," so England obviously had a surplus of some woods.

          Cheers, Folo
          www.micelfolcland.org
        • Susanne Hibbert
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
            In England,Yew was imported from Spain. I was recently reading "Knight" the
            Medieval Warrior's 'unofficial' Manual", by Thames & Hudson. It was superior and
            much sought after, but, very expensive source. It was sent in the form of bow
            stave's. It was ordered for an English Kings bowmen.
            Susana

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
              Much thanks, Folo! You're the best! :-D

              Arlys