Re: [Authentic_SCA] looking for a source

  • Michael Hurley
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
      On Jul 11, 2011, at 3:46 PM, Fred Zeiler wrote:
      > Thanks Susana for your help.
      > Yes I have google google, hotbot, bing and tried different
      > arrangement of
      > the works.
      >
      > The time period is from 1400 to the 1600. These bentwood boxes are
      > shown in
      > a lot of different paintings. They are all the Europe area.
      >
      > I am thinking that it was one of those process that was very common
      > and did
      > not get written about.
      > I checked out a couple of links, but they stated that in the middle
      > ages
      > they did ????, but no sources.

      I'm afraid that's probably all you're going to find. General
      woodworking seems to have been one of the kinds of basic craftsmanship
      that were never covered by any kind of guild. This means there
      probably weren't any instructions ever written down. And looking at
      any surviving examples there might be probably wouldn't give any
      particular evidence, either, as steam bending, grow bending, water
      bending and the like all leave the piece of wood looking basically the
      same. The only possible evidence might be clamp marks on steam or
      water bent wood, but even if these existed originally they would
      likely have been cut, filed or sanded off in the process of making, or
      worn away in the intervening centuries.
      --
      Auf wiedersehen!
      Michael

      "..No."

      -Real Genius
    • Cynthia Ley
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
        On a related note, I am trying to find out what, if any, woods were
        imported to England during the 14th century. Clues for hunting, anyone?

        thanks!
        Arlys,
        An Tir
      • Fred Zeiler
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
          Arlys,

          Is there a type of wood you are looking for?

          Frederick

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
            > On a related note, I am trying to find out what, if any, woods were
            > imported to England during the 14th century. Clues for hunting, anyone?

            Here are a few notes that might give you hints for where and what to search:

            http://www.dougmccoy.us/ELB.html: "The first documented import of yew bowstaves to England was in 1294. In 1350 there was a serious shortage, and Henry IV of England ordered his royal bowyer to enter private land and cut yew and other woods."

            http://medievalwoodworking.org/articles/The%20Northern%20European%20Lumber%20Trade%20in%20the%20Middle%20Ages.pdf: On medieval timber trade

            http://www.localhistories.org/norwich.html: "The main export from Norwich was wool. Imports included woad for dyeing, timber and pitch, wine, millstones and fish from Great Yarmouth."

            http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36073: Documents on imports into London in the late 15C. There are probably other revcords of the like that you can search for earlier times.

            On the other hand, http://mygeologypage.ucdavis.edu/cowen/~gel115/115CH11coal.html notes that: "The first import of Scandinavian timber is recorded from England as early as 1230," so England obviously had a surplus of some woods.

            Cheers, Folo
            www.micelfolcland.org
          • Susanne Hibbert
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
              In England,Yew was imported from Spain. I was recently reading "Knight" the
              Medieval Warrior's 'unofficial' Manual", by Thames & Hudson. It was superior and
              much sought after, but, very expensive source. It was sent in the form of bow
              stave's. It was ordered for an English Kings bowmen.
              Susana

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
                Much thanks, Folo! You're the best! :-D

                Arlys