Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: looking for a source

  • Fred Zeiler
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
      Eyd�s,
      Thanks
      Frederick

      --
      Frederick

      You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think. unknown

    • Susanne Hibbert
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
        Have you tried "googling" bent wood boxes????? I got too many to put here. The
        only county I found (only after a few minutes) where from Sweden and Canada.
        What county where those period sewing kits going to be from?
        Susana

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
          Thanks Susana for your help.
          Yes I have google google, hotbot, bing and tried different arrangement of
          the works.

          The time period is from 1400 to the 1600. These bentwood boxes are shown in
          a lot of different paintings. They are all the Europe area.

          I am thinking that it was one of those process that was very common and did
          not get written about.
          I checked out a couple of links, but they stated that in the middle ages
          they did ????, but no sources.

          Thanks again,
        • Michael Hurley
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
            On Jul 11, 2011, at 3:46 PM, Fred Zeiler wrote:
            > Thanks Susana for your help.
            > Yes I have google google, hotbot, bing and tried different
            > arrangement of
            > the works.
            >
            > The time period is from 1400 to the 1600. These bentwood boxes are
            > shown in
            > a lot of different paintings. They are all the Europe area.
            >
            > I am thinking that it was one of those process that was very common
            > and did
            > not get written about.
            > I checked out a couple of links, but they stated that in the middle
            > ages
            > they did ????, but no sources.

            I'm afraid that's probably all you're going to find. General
            woodworking seems to have been one of the kinds of basic craftsmanship
            that were never covered by any kind of guild. This means there
            probably weren't any instructions ever written down. And looking at
            any surviving examples there might be probably wouldn't give any
            particular evidence, either, as steam bending, grow bending, water
            bending and the like all leave the piece of wood looking basically the
            same. The only possible evidence might be clamp marks on steam or
            water bent wood, but even if these existed originally they would
            likely have been cut, filed or sanded off in the process of making, or
            worn away in the intervening centuries.
            --
            Auf wiedersehen!
            Michael

            "..No."

            -Real Genius
          • Cynthia Ley
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
              On a related note, I am trying to find out what, if any, woods were
              imported to England during the 14th century. Clues for hunting, anyone?

              thanks!
              Arlys,
              An Tir
            • Fred Zeiler
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
                Arlys,

                Is there a type of wood you are looking for?

                Frederick

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
                  > On a related note, I am trying to find out what, if any, woods were
                  > imported to England during the 14th century. Clues for hunting, anyone?

                  Here are a few notes that might give you hints for where and what to search:

                  http://www.dougmccoy.us/ELB.html: "The first documented import of yew bowstaves to England was in 1294. In 1350 there was a serious shortage, and Henry IV of England ordered his royal bowyer to enter private land and cut yew and other woods."

                  http://medievalwoodworking.org/articles/The%20Northern%20European%20Lumber%20Trade%20in%20the%20Middle%20Ages.pdf: On medieval timber trade

                  http://www.localhistories.org/norwich.html: "The main export from Norwich was wool. Imports included woad for dyeing, timber and pitch, wine, millstones and fish from Great Yarmouth."

                  http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36073: Documents on imports into London in the late 15C. There are probably other revcords of the like that you can search for earlier times.

                  On the other hand, http://mygeologypage.ucdavis.edu/cowen/~gel115/115CH11coal.html notes that: "The first import of Scandinavian timber is recorded from England as early as 1230," so England obviously had a surplus of some woods.

                  Cheers, Folo
                  www.micelfolcland.org
                • Susanne Hibbert
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
                    In England,Yew was imported from Spain. I was recently reading "Knight" the
                    Medieval Warrior's 'unofficial' Manual", by Thames & Hudson. It was superior and
                    much sought after, but, very expensive source. It was sent in the form of bow
                    stave's. It was ordered for an English Kings bowmen.
                    Susana

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
                      Much thanks, Folo! You're the best! :-D

                      Arlys