looking for a source

  • frederickalten
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 10, 2011
      I am Frederick Alton from the Kingdom of Gleann Abhann.Shire of Lagerdamm, located in Conway Arkansas.
      My interest range from pewter casting, leather work, wood work, bone work and period sewing kits.

      My current projects always include some type of pewter casting. I am
      working on bent wood boxes to use in a period sewing kit.

      I need your help with this project. There are all kinds of pictures of bent wood boxes in period, but to this day i can not find any documentation on how they were build. I am looking for documentation on bending wood in
      period. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Yours in Service,
    • karen_isaacson@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "frederickalten" <freddiezeiler@...> wrote:

        <snip>

        > I need your help with this project. There are all kinds of pictures of bent wood boxes in period, but to this day i can not find any documentation on how they were build. I am looking for documentation on bending wood in period. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        The book 'Medieval Woodworking' has a reference to this; check hereLhttp://books.google.com/books?id=-TYISz9p3GQC&pg=PA159&lpg=PA159&dq=medieval+wood+bending&source=bl&ots=yND8CyQpaE&sig=qBiQo4_OWbNlZrUmmGCeRlW7eRo&hl=en&ei=6QQbTu7wIafViALfh83SBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=medieval%20wood%20bending&f=false

        Eydís Gunnarsdóttir
      • Fred Zeiler
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
          Eyd�s,
          Thanks
          Frederick

          --
          Frederick

          You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think. unknown

        • Susanne Hibbert
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
            Have you tried "googling" bent wood boxes????? I got too many to put here. The
            only county I found (only after a few minutes) where from Sweden and Canada.
            What county where those period sewing kits going to be from?
            Susana

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
              Thanks Susana for your help.
              Yes I have google google, hotbot, bing and tried different arrangement of
              the works.

              The time period is from 1400 to the 1600. These bentwood boxes are shown in
              a lot of different paintings. They are all the Europe area.

              I am thinking that it was one of those process that was very common and did
              not get written about.
              I checked out a couple of links, but they stated that in the middle ages
              they did ????, but no sources.

              Thanks again,
            • Michael Hurley
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
                On Jul 11, 2011, at 3:46 PM, Fred Zeiler wrote:
                > Thanks Susana for your help.
                > Yes I have google google, hotbot, bing and tried different
                > arrangement of
                > the works.
                >
                > The time period is from 1400 to the 1600. These bentwood boxes are
                > shown in
                > a lot of different paintings. They are all the Europe area.
                >
                > I am thinking that it was one of those process that was very common
                > and did
                > not get written about.
                > I checked out a couple of links, but they stated that in the middle
                > ages
                > they did ????, but no sources.

                I'm afraid that's probably all you're going to find. General
                woodworking seems to have been one of the kinds of basic craftsmanship
                that were never covered by any kind of guild. This means there
                probably weren't any instructions ever written down. And looking at
                any surviving examples there might be probably wouldn't give any
                particular evidence, either, as steam bending, grow bending, water
                bending and the like all leave the piece of wood looking basically the
                same. The only possible evidence might be clamp marks on steam or
                water bent wood, but even if these existed originally they would
                likely have been cut, filed or sanded off in the process of making, or
                worn away in the intervening centuries.
                --
                Auf wiedersehen!
                Michael

                "..No."

                -Real Genius
              • Cynthia Ley
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
                  On a related note, I am trying to find out what, if any, woods were
                  imported to England during the 14th century. Clues for hunting, anyone?

                  thanks!
                  Arlys,
                  An Tir
                • Fred Zeiler
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
                    Arlys,

                    Is there a type of wood you are looking for?

                    Frederick

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
                      > On a related note, I am trying to find out what, if any, woods were
                      > imported to England during the 14th century. Clues for hunting, anyone?

                      Here are a few notes that might give you hints for where and what to search:

                      http://www.dougmccoy.us/ELB.html: "The first documented import of yew bowstaves to England was in 1294. In 1350 there was a serious shortage, and Henry IV of England ordered his royal bowyer to enter private land and cut yew and other woods."

                      http://medievalwoodworking.org/articles/The%20Northern%20European%20Lumber%20Trade%20in%20the%20Middle%20Ages.pdf: On medieval timber trade

                      http://www.localhistories.org/norwich.html: "The main export from Norwich was wool. Imports included woad for dyeing, timber and pitch, wine, millstones and fish from Great Yarmouth."

                      http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36073: Documents on imports into London in the late 15C. There are probably other revcords of the like that you can search for earlier times.

                      On the other hand, http://mygeologypage.ucdavis.edu/cowen/~gel115/115CH11coal.html notes that: "The first import of Scandinavian timber is recorded from England as early as 1230," so England obviously had a surplus of some woods.

                      Cheers, Folo
                      www.micelfolcland.org
                    • Susanne Hibbert
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
                        In England,Yew was imported from Spain. I was recently reading "Knight" the
                        Medieval Warrior's 'unofficial' Manual", by Thames & Hudson. It was superior and
                        much sought after, but, very expensive source. It was sent in the form of bow
                        stave's. It was ordered for an English Kings bowmen.
                        Susana

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 11, 2011
                          Much thanks, Folo! You're the best! :-D

                          Arlys