Re: [Authentic_SCA] Along the same vein...

  • Carmen Beaudry
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 23, 2011
      I made a coat for a client trimmed with really high-end faux fur, and
      unless you could turn it over and look at the back, there was no way you
      could tell it wasn't real. It draped, felt and looked like the real
      thing. Of course, I got it half-off for $75 a yard.

      Melusine, An Tir

      On 6/23/2011 7:09 AM, Chris Laning wrote:
      > I've noticed that in the last ten years or so there are now some much
      > improved faux furs that have much more the look and feel of the real
      > thing than what used to be available.
      > Of course, if you want quality you have to pay for it ;)
      >
      > O (Dame) Christian de Holacombe, OL - Shire of Windy Meads
      > + Kingdom of the West - Chris Laning<claning@...>
      > http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com

    • Susan Meitzler
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 23, 2011
        When I make mantles, i use faux fur because using the real stuff just
        scares me a bit. I have no qualms about the use, to me it's just
        daunting. But I have found to try and get faux fur made for Taxidermy.
        It usually looks extremely realistic. I just finished a mantle of deer
        suede and lined with faux brown bear. It was glorious as the deer
        skin was brain tanned and everything (not by me another thing I find
        daunting if not a little gross)

        Lady Madalena Von KDT
        East Kingdom/ Shire of Eisental

      • Susanne Hibbert
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 26, 2011
          You can also get real and faux fur collars, capes, coats and cuffs for a
          reasonable price and little to no sewing at a good thrift shop. I ask the
          manager to hold anything they get in and call me. When I get a call I go right
          over. Sometimes comments about what you might be looking for and what you plan
          on using it for stays in their minds. Buying a worthy piece will also keep them
          calling you. I don't ask about the pieces until I see them in person. This waste
          none of their time, and maybe you can get a bit of a price deduction, maybe not
          right away. You can also sell these to other Society members. Real fur also
          makes a nice and thoughtful gift to a fellow player (just make sure that they
          accept faux or real) to avoid disappointments.

          Susana