Re: [Authentic_SCA] Along the same vein...

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 23 7:09 AM
      On Jun 22, 2011, at 9:20 PM, Susanne Hibbert wrote:

      > If real fur is not for you......a friend of mine made her Vair and Minnerva with
      > faux fur mounted on light felt. It looked pretty good. The "fur" was polyester;
      > as was the felt. The whole thing gets a fabric gluing that dry cleaning will not
      > undo. I don't remember her doing any sewing.

      I've noticed that in the last ten years or so there are now some much improved faux furs that have much more the look and feel of the real thing than what used to be available.

      Of course, if you want quality you have to pay for it ;)

    • Carmen Beaudry
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 23 9:52 AM
        I made a coat for a client trimmed with really high-end faux fur, and
        unless you could turn it over and look at the back, there was no way you
        could tell it wasn't real. It draped, felt and looked like the real
        thing. Of course, I got it half-off for $75 a yard.

        Melusine, An Tir

        On 6/23/2011 7:09 AM, Chris Laning wrote:
        > I've noticed that in the last ten years or so there are now some much
        > improved faux furs that have much more the look and feel of the real
        > thing than what used to be available.
        > Of course, if you want quality you have to pay for it ;)
        >
        > O (Dame) Christian de Holacombe, OL - Shire of Windy Meads
        > + Kingdom of the West - Chris Laning<claning@...>
        > http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com

      • Susan Meitzler
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 23 10:17 AM
          When I make mantles, i use faux fur because using the real stuff just
          scares me a bit. I have no qualms about the use, to me it's just
          daunting. But I have found to try and get faux fur made for Taxidermy.
          It usually looks extremely realistic. I just finished a mantle of deer
          suede and lined with faux brown bear. It was glorious as the deer
          skin was brain tanned and everything (not by me another thing I find
          daunting if not a little gross)

          Lady Madalena Von KDT
          East Kingdom/ Shire of Eisental

        • Susanne Hibbert
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 26 7:41 PM
            You can also get real and faux fur collars, capes, coats and cuffs for a
            reasonable price and little to no sewing at a good thrift shop. I ask the
            manager to hold anything they get in and call me. When I get a call I go right
            over. Sometimes comments about what you might be looking for and what you plan
            on using it for stays in their minds. Buying a worthy piece will also keep them
            calling you. I don't ask about the pieces until I see them in person. This waste
            none of their time, and maybe you can get a bit of a price deduction, maybe not
            right away. You can also sell these to other Society members. Real fur also
            makes a nice and thoughtful gift to a fellow player (just make sure that they
            accept faux or real) to avoid disappointments.

            Susana