[Authentic_SCA] Re: Garters

  • aston_hall
    Message 1 of 12 , May 17, 2011
      There is real evidence that women wore buckled garters, at least early on.
      From Textiles and Clothing 1150-1450 by Crowfoot, Pritchard and Staniland, page 143:

      "The excavation of the tomb of a Merovingian princess, possibly Queen Arnegunde, who was buried c. 565-70 in the cathedral of St. Denis, France, revealed that she was laid out wearing linen hose secured below both knees with leather cross-gartering garnished with silver buckles and strap ends. (France-Lanord & Fleury1962, 345, 354, fig 3; Werner 1964, 212-14, figs 11,12)."

      Rebecca Robynson
      Darachshire, Caid