Re: lacemakers wearing glasses

  • Madame du Pont
    Message 1 of 22 , May 9 10:10 AM
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Barbara <harpnfiddle@...> wrote:

      > I am looking for a 16th cent print or painting in which there are women
      > doing various needlecrafts, and one woman making lace. Several are
      > wearing glasses. Anyone know where I can find it again? I thought I
      > saved the source, but now I can't find it again.
      > Thanks,
      > Barbeta

      A very crafty Italian, Brizio by name, was wearing all day his glasses he fashioned at Saturday's Hocktide Emprise I will upload the picture him wearing them. He put his prescription glass in them after finding a place that made round prescription glasses. He is an armourer and makes many things and I am sure would make some since that is what he does.
      His business: http://brianbrownarmoury.com/, he is with the Shire of Briarok (Roseburg, OR), Principality of the Summits -An Tir.

      Cheers,
      Madame du Pont
      Shire de Tymberhavene
      Kingdom d'An Tir
    • Barbara
      Message 2 of 22 , May 9 10:28 AM
        Oh, do! Love to see people wearing them. I have found 18th C glasses at
        this site:
        http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=3701ad06ccdcac49d2f83a8e4402d82b

        Which will do in a pinch, but the more examples I can see first, the better.

        Barbeta

        > A very crafty Italian, Brizio by name, was wearing all day his glasses he
        > fashioned at Saturday's Hocktide Emprise I will upload the picture him
        > wearing them. He put his prescription glass in them after finding a place
        > that made round prescription glasses. He is an armourer and makes many
        > things and I am sure would make some since that is what he does.
        > His business: http://brianbrownarmoury.com/, he is with the Shire of
        > Briarok (Roseburg, OR), Principality of the Summits -An Tir.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Madame du Pont
        > Shire de Tymberhavene
        > Kingdom d'An Tir

      • MITCHELL J BARTON
        Message 3 of 22 , May 9 6:36 PM
          Reading the thread on the illustration of the spectacles, and the interest in period glasses, I am presenting the website of a friend who does bone carving. http://www.carvedinbone.com/<http://www.carvedinbone.com/>
          Master Leot does wonderful carving and has done period spectacles
          Enjoy
          Lady Ratiri
          in Atenveldt

        • Michael Hurley
          Message 4 of 22 , May 10 9:17 PM
            On May 9, 2011, at 12:28 PM, Barbara wrote:
            > Oh, do! Love to see people wearing them. I have found 18th C glasses
            > at
            > this site:
            > http://jas-townsend.com/

            Townsend used to have a pair of folding, faux-ivory medieval
            spectacles frames for sale. They don't list them on the site anymore,
            but you may try contacting them. They might still have a pair or two
            lurking in a warehouse corner they'd be willing to sell.
            --
            Auf wiedersehen!
            Michael

            "..No."

            -Real Genius
          • Jeff Gedney
            Message 5 of 22 , May 11 1:47 PM
              unfortunately not. They have not carried these at all for several years
              I tried going that route a couple years ago, and was told that they are
              just not available.
              Capt Elias