Re: [Authentic_SCA] lacemakers wearing glasses

  • Barbara
    Message 1 of 22 , May 9, 2011
      Interesting looking glasses. I've never seen the threads around the ears
      to hold them on, but that is certainly better than having to hold them on
      manually.

      I am on the hunt for more authentic looking glasses that I can put my
      prescription in.

      Thanks,
      Barbeta

      > Elisa
      > Pic uploaded to group photos in "Ranif's Bits". These
      > specs are a tad earlier than the scene under
      > discussion, about 1490, but, they are a shift away from
      > the folding pince-nez type.
      > Ranif
    • Madame du Pont
      Message 2 of 22 , May 9, 2011
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Barbara <harpnfiddle@...> wrote:

        > I am looking for a 16th cent print or painting in which there are women
        > doing various needlecrafts, and one woman making lace. Several are
        > wearing glasses. Anyone know where I can find it again? I thought I
        > saved the source, but now I can't find it again.
        > Thanks,
        > Barbeta

        A very crafty Italian, Brizio by name, was wearing all day his glasses he fashioned at Saturday's Hocktide Emprise I will upload the picture him wearing them. He put his prescription glass in them after finding a place that made round prescription glasses. He is an armourer and makes many things and I am sure would make some since that is what he does.
        His business: http://brianbrownarmoury.com/, he is with the Shire of Briarok (Roseburg, OR), Principality of the Summits -An Tir.

        Cheers,
        Madame du Pont
        Shire de Tymberhavene
        Kingdom d'An Tir
      • Barbara
        Message 3 of 22 , May 9, 2011
          Oh, do! Love to see people wearing them. I have found 18th C glasses at
          this site:
          http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=3701ad06ccdcac49d2f83a8e4402d82b

          Which will do in a pinch, but the more examples I can see first, the better.

          Barbeta

          > A very crafty Italian, Brizio by name, was wearing all day his glasses he
          > fashioned at Saturday's Hocktide Emprise I will upload the picture him
          > wearing them. He put his prescription glass in them after finding a place
          > that made round prescription glasses. He is an armourer and makes many
          > things and I am sure would make some since that is what he does.
          > His business: http://brianbrownarmoury.com/, he is with the Shire of
          > Briarok (Roseburg, OR), Principality of the Summits -An Tir.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Madame du Pont
          > Shire de Tymberhavene
          > Kingdom d'An Tir

        • MITCHELL J BARTON
          Message 4 of 22 , May 9, 2011
            Reading the thread on the illustration of the spectacles, and the interest in period glasses, I am presenting the website of a friend who does bone carving. http://www.carvedinbone.com/<http://www.carvedinbone.com/>
            Master Leot does wonderful carving and has done period spectacles
            Enjoy
            Lady Ratiri
            in Atenveldt

          • Michael Hurley
            Message 5 of 22 , May 10, 2011
              On May 9, 2011, at 12:28 PM, Barbara wrote:
              > Oh, do! Love to see people wearing them. I have found 18th C glasses
              > at
              > this site:
              > http://jas-townsend.com/

              Townsend used to have a pair of folding, faux-ivory medieval
              spectacles frames for sale. They don't list them on the site anymore,
              but you may try contacting them. They might still have a pair or two
              lurking in a warehouse corner they'd be willing to sell.
              --
              Auf wiedersehen!
              Michael

              "..No."

              -Real Genius
            • Jeff Gedney
              Message 6 of 22 , May 11, 2011
                unfortunately not. They have not carried these at all for several years
                I tried going that route a couple years ago, and was told that they are
                just not available.
                Capt Elias