Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Viking Quiver and Archer's glove

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2011
      Oops. Sorry. I apparently didn't direct this to Arnborn's addy.

      Cheers, Folo
    • Padruig
      Message 2 of 7 , May 9, 2011
        I can't speak specifically to viking use of side quivers, but I did find this painting, by Carpaccio, done in the later 1500's, that shows the archer with a hip quiver. I used this as a guide to make a similar one for my son. He likes it.

        Draw your attention to the lower center of the photo...

        Padruig McTavish
        Kingdom Youth Combat Marshal
        Artemisia

        Dr. Raymond Zentz

        It is better to die a free man, than to live, a slave.

        **It certainly does seem a matter of preference at least in the Viking
        Age. There have been some who think the side quiver is easier to
        access in warfare, but that is all hearsay!

        To my knowledge--and I'd love to be corrected!--there are no period
        quivers that exist --(etc.)**
        Good luck!

      • Padruig
        Message 3 of 7 , May 10, 2011
          Hmmm. I forgot. Photo is stripped from posts, apparantly. You can view it here...

          http://en.wahooart.com/A55A04/w.nsf/Opra/BRUE-8EWS98

          Padruig