Re: [Authentic_SCA] Viking Quiver and Archer's glove

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2011
      >Ok. Timee to switch things up. I am constructing a Norse archery
      >kit. I have the bracer done, based on a find from York.

      Did you use leather like in the Mould leather-working book (free
      download at
      http://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/resources/pubs_archive.htm) I used
      the sole of a thirty-year turnshoe and am darn glad I never threw them out! :)

      >Totally stuck on the glove.

      Please give provenance since there is a scarcity of it for gloves in
      the Viking Age and in some quarters the existence of gloves at all is
      controversial. Mittens, yes, but not gloves. Someone has suggested
      two-finger gloves, though they provided no provenance, and finding a
      picture has been elusive.

      > Lots of material out there, but I don't want something that looks
      > modern. As for the quiver, a friend and I got into a somewhat
      > heated discussion over hip vs. shoulder. I feel strongly that
      > personal preference should take precedence: both are represented on
      > the Bayeux tapestry, and I am SURE I read a Saga with a reference
      > to drawing an arrow from over a shoulder, but my friend adamantly
      > feels hip is the only Norse method for wearing a quiver. He says
      > the Bayeux depiction of a shoulder quiver is a mistake.(?!?!?)
      > Thoughts? Better yet, patterns?References?

      It certainly does seem a matter of preference at least in the Viking
      Age. There have been some who think the side quiver is easier to
      access in warfare, but that is all hearsay!

      To my knowledge--and I'd love to be corrected!--there are no period
      quivers that exist (though there are period bows and arrows), The
      quivers i the Bayeaux Embroidery are useful; most of the other
      illos--there's one in the Utrecht Psalter that is comically
      large--are from a later period..are rather ambiguous, and I've talked
      to people who have used fabric and leather both.

      The following articles--along with observation from the
      Embroidery--were useful during the construction of mine:
      (http://www.flickr.com/photos/folo/5499506221/in/set-72057594097894511)
      http://www3.sympatico.ca/ragiwarmbear/diy/bc/backplan.html
      http://hem.passagen.se/gwshark/quiver/index.htm
      In addition, I have a short article by Paul Asheton from the UK--whom
      I love but decided not to use--on the construction of his.

      Good luck!

      Cheers, Folo
      www.micelfolcland.org
    • arnbjornraudfeldr
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5, 2011
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Folo Watkins <folo1@...> wrote:

        **Did you use leather like in the Mould leather-working book (free
        download at
        http://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/resources/pubs_archive.htm) I used
        the sole of a thirty-year turnshoe and am darn glad I never threw them out! :)**

        Used 9 oz. veg tan. Seems to have worked well. That's the resource I used also!

        **Please give provenance since there is a scarcity of it for gloves in the Viking Age and in some quarters the existence of gloves at all is controversial. Mittens, yes, but not gloves. Someone has suggested
        two-finger gloves, though they provided no provenance, and finding a
        picture has been elusive.**

        If I should find something, I will definitely let the list know. I have found somethings on horn or bone rings used for drawing a bow, but these seem to be found only in the extreme east, and there seems to be little evidence they were ever adopted by Scandinavian cultures.

        **It certainly does seem a matter of preference at least in the Viking
        Age. There have been some who think the side quiver is easier to
        access in warfare, but that is all hearsay!

        To my knowledge--and I'd love to be corrected!--there are no period
        quivers that exist --(etc.)**
        **In addition, I have a short article by Paul Asheton from the UK--whom
        I love but decided not to use--on the construction of his.

        Good luck!

        Cheers, Folo
        www.micelfolcland.org**

        I would love a copy of that article, my Lord!!
        Many thanks for the response!

        Arnbjorn
      • Folo Watkins
        Message 3 of 7 , May 5, 2011
          >That's the resource I used also!

          I figured so; I just never tire of giving the YAT links! :)

          >I would love a copy of that article, my Lord!!
          >Many thanks for the response!

          Attached!

          Cheers, Folo

        • Folo Watkins
          Message 4 of 7 , May 5, 2011
            Oops. Sorry. I apparently didn't direct this to Arnborn's addy.

            Cheers, Folo
          • Padruig
            Message 5 of 7 , May 9, 2011
              I can't speak specifically to viking use of side quivers, but I did find this painting, by Carpaccio, done in the later 1500's, that shows the archer with a hip quiver. I used this as a guide to make a similar one for my son. He likes it.

              Draw your attention to the lower center of the photo...

              Padruig McTavish
              Kingdom Youth Combat Marshal
              Artemisia

              Dr. Raymond Zentz

              It is better to die a free man, than to live, a slave.

              Message 6 of 7 , May 10, 2011
                Hmmm. I forgot. Photo is stripped from posts, apparantly. You can view it here...

                http://en.wahooart.com/A55A04/w.nsf/Opra/BRUE-8EWS98

                Padruig