Re: [Authentic_SCA] Thread for hand-hemming veils

  • Sarah Michele Ford
    Message 1 of 22 , May 5 9:23 AM
      On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 11:32, DeNae Leverentz <dleverentz@...> wrote:

      I'd like some guidance on what type of thread I should be using in hemming
      > this veil. Now that I'm hand-sewing, I might as well do it properly!

      Any standard-weight sewing thread will be an appropriate weight thread. I,
      too, use the gutermann threads which I can get at JoAnn's. You can also find
      lightweight linen threads (I buy weaving thread from Webs -
      http://www.yarn.com); a reasonable substitute for linen would be 100%
      cotton, which is also readily available at any sewing store.

      HTH,
      Alianor
    • dark_lady_of_the_sidhe
      Message 2 of 22 , May 5 8:20 PM
        <dleverentz@...> wrote:
        > I'd like some guidance on what type of thread I should be using in
        > hemming this veil.

        I enjoy sewing with silk thread, but I don't recommend it on anything you plan to bleach. Yes, silk thread does yellow when bleached, but even worse, it becomes brittle and eventually just snaps. It can work for items like veils that don't get terribly soiled, but things that are often washed and bleached (like fighting shirts/chemises) become problematic. Use linen, cotton, or even poly-cotton if that's all you have if you anticipate bleaching something more than very occasionally.

        ~Eithni
      • lilinah@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 22 , May 6 10:11 AM
          DeNae Leverentz wrote:
          > I'd like some guidance on what type of thread I should be using in hemming
          > this veil. Now that I'm hand-sewing, I might as well do it properly!

          I usually use linen thread when sewing linen, unless i have found
          evidence of other fibers for the sewing thread.

          I no longer remember where i bought my linen threads. There are only
          two possibilities for me:
          Lacis
          http://lacis.com/catalog/
          or
          Needle In a Haystack
          http://www.needlestack.com/

          Lacis is a store oriented to all sorts of historical costuming and
          textile/fiber arts - costumers from all over Planet Earth are
          familiar with Lacis.

          Needle in a Haystack is oriented to all sorts of embroidery and
          offers an amazing array of embroidery and needlework supplies and
          tools.

          Both sell in their brick and mortar stores -- if anyone is near the
          SF Bay Area i recommend a field trip -- and on-line which is useful
          for everyone :-)

          Both are unique local shops, offering a vast array of goods, run by
          knowledgeable and helpful folks, so if you have any questions, you
          can phone them.

          I bought white, "natural", and a medium indigo color.
          --
          Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
          the persona formerly known as Anahita
          Message 4 of 22 , May 6 10:16 AM
            Despina wrote:
            >... If you want to use linen thread though, in keeping with your
            >linen veil, I would suggest Londonderry's 50/30 linen thread.
            SNIP
            >You can find the linen thread that I recommended at Nordic Needle,
            >if you're in Fargo - which is helpful because you can bring the
            >linen with you and get the 'perfect' shade of 'white' to match your
            >veil. (or you can mail order it from several sources on the internet.

            Nordic Needle also sells via the web, as i have bought non-SCA
            oriented supplies from them:
            http://nordicneedle.com

            I had a question and phoned them and the ladies i spoke with were
            lovely and helpful.
            --
            Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
            the persona formerly known as Anahita
          • Diane Sawyer Dooley
            Message 5 of 22 , May 6 10:27 AM
              Reconstructing History has linen sewing thread, too:
              http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/t/threads/sewing-threads

              They have some pretty spiffy embroidery thread, too. :-)

              Tasha

            • Barbara
              Message 6 of 22 , May 7 8:36 AM
                I am looking for a 16th cent print or painting in which there are women
                doing various needlecrafts, and one woman making lace. Several are
                wearing glasses. Anyone know where I can find it again? I thought I
                saved the source, but now I can't find it again.
                Thanks,
                Barbeta
              • Kristen
                Message 7 of 22 , May 7 11:42 AM
                  I am looking for a 16th cent print or painting in which there are women
                  doing various needlecrafts, and one woman making lace. Several are
                  wearing glasses,
                  Thanks,
                  Barbeta

                  I’ve never seen it, but I would sure be interested in it!
                  Elisa

                • Heather Rose Jones
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 7 2:30 PM

                    > I am looking for a 16th cent print or painting in which there are women
                    > doing various needlecrafts, and one woman making lace. Several are
                    > wearing glasses,
                    > Thanks,
                    > Barbeta

                    The title page for a 1597 work titled "Schön neues Modelbuch", as illustrated on p.149 of:

                    Abegg, Margaret. 1978. Apropos Patterns for Embroidery Lace and Woven Textiles. Schriften der Abegg-Stiftung Bern im Verlag Stämpfli & Cie ag Bern.

                    shows a group of women performing various types of textiles arts, one of whom wears glasses.

                    I have no idea if it's the picture you were thinking of, or whether it will serve as well.

                    Tangwystyl

                  • Barbara
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 7 4:26 PM
                      Alas, I don't have that book, so I don't know if that is the print I am
                      looking for. I wish I knew better in what context I saw the
                      print/painting that I remember.
                      Barbeta

                      On 5/7/2011 5:30 PM, Heather Rose Jones wrote:

                      > The title page for a 1597 work titled "Schön neues Modelbuch", as
                      > illustrated on p.149 of:
                      >
                      > Abegg, Margaret. 1978. Apropos Patterns for Embroidery Lace and Woven
                      > Textiles. Schriften der Abegg-Stiftung Bern im Verlag Stämpfli & Cie
                      > ag Bern.
                      >
                      > shows a group of women performing various types of textiles arts, one
                      > of whom wears glasses.
                      >
                      > I have no idea if it's the picture you were thinking of, or whether it
                      > will serve as well.
                      >
                      > Tangwystyl

                    • Heather Rose Jones
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 7 7:22 PM
                        On May 7, 2011, at 4:26 PM, Barbara wrote:

                        > Alas, I don't have that book, so I don't know if that is the print I am
                        > looking for. I wish I knew better in what context I saw the
                        > print/painting that I remember.
                        > Barbeta

                        Here's the picture on someone's Filckr stream:

                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/bibliodyssey/2859148512/in/set-72157607300744021

                        Tangwystyl
                      • Barbara
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 8 8:57 AM
                          Yes, Yes,Yes!!! That's the one. Thank you so much!
                          I wonder where I saw it before? I thought there was a bobbin lace maker
                          as well and I don't see her, but it was the glasses I was after! Is this
                          Modelbuch on the arizona.edu site? I couldn't find it.
                          Thanks again,
                          Barbeta

                          On 5/7/2011 10:22 PM, Heather Rose Jones wrote:

                          > Here's the picture on someone's Filckr stream:
                          >
                          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/bibliodyssey/2859148512/in/set-72157607300744021
                          >
                          > Tangwystyl
                          >
                          > _
                          > _,___

                        • Des & Jan Howard
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 8 5:35 PM
                            Elisa
                            Pic uploaded to group photos in "Ranif's Bits". These
                            specs are a tad earlier than the scene under
                            discussion, about 1490, but, they are a shift away from
                            the folding pince-nez type.
                            Ranif

                            On 8/05/2011 4:42 AM, Kristen wrote:
                            > I’ve never seen it, but I would sure be interested in it!
                            > Elisa

                            -32.656072 149.840624
                          • Kristen
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 8 8:01 PM
                              Elisa
                              Pic uploaded to group photos in "Ranif's Bits".

                              Thank you. As my eyesight matures, I can no longer do much of my embroidery with my contact lenses alone, especially in dim or fluorescent light. I’d really like to acquire a pair of specs that can be used as reading/work glasses along with my contacts when I’m at events. I generally portray a wealthy woman from the early 1400’s, but I’m interested in any depictions of medieval spectacles.

                              Pax,

                              Elisa

                            • Barbara
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 9 9:56 AM
                                Interesting looking glasses. I've never seen the threads around the ears
                                to hold them on, but that is certainly better than having to hold them on
                                manually.

                                I am on the hunt for more authentic looking glasses that I can put my
                                prescription in.

                                Thanks,
                                Barbeta

                                > Elisa
                                > Pic uploaded to group photos in "Ranif's Bits". These
                                > specs are a tad earlier than the scene under
                                > discussion, about 1490, but, they are a shift away from
                                > the folding pince-nez type.
                                > Ranif
                              • Madame du Pont
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 9 10:10 AM
                                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Barbara <harpnfiddle@...> wrote:

                                  > I am looking for a 16th cent print or painting in which there are women
                                  > doing various needlecrafts, and one woman making lace. Several are
                                  > wearing glasses. Anyone know where I can find it again? I thought I
                                  > saved the source, but now I can't find it again.
                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Barbeta

                                  A very crafty Italian, Brizio by name, was wearing all day his glasses he fashioned at Saturday's Hocktide Emprise I will upload the picture him wearing them. He put his prescription glass in them after finding a place that made round prescription glasses. He is an armourer and makes many things and I am sure would make some since that is what he does.
                                  His business: http://brianbrownarmoury.com/, he is with the Shire of Briarok (Roseburg, OR), Principality of the Summits -An Tir.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Madame du Pont
                                  Shire de Tymberhavene
                                  Kingdom d'An Tir
                                • Barbara
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 9 10:28 AM
                                    Oh, do! Love to see people wearing them. I have found 18th C glasses at
                                    this site:
                                    http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=3701ad06ccdcac49d2f83a8e4402d82b

                                    Which will do in a pinch, but the more examples I can see first, the better.

                                    Barbeta

                                    > A very crafty Italian, Brizio by name, was wearing all day his glasses he
                                    > fashioned at Saturday's Hocktide Emprise I will upload the picture him
                                    > wearing them. He put his prescription glass in them after finding a place
                                    > that made round prescription glasses. He is an armourer and makes many
                                    > things and I am sure would make some since that is what he does.
                                    > His business: http://brianbrownarmoury.com/, he is with the Shire of
                                    > Briarok (Roseburg, OR), Principality of the Summits -An Tir.
                                    >
                                    > Cheers,
                                    > Madame du Pont
                                    > Shire de Tymberhavene
                                    > Kingdom d'An Tir

                                  • MITCHELL J BARTON
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 9 6:36 PM
                                      Reading the thread on the illustration of the spectacles, and the interest in period glasses, I am presenting the website of a friend who does bone carving. http://www.carvedinbone.com/<http://www.carvedinbone.com/>
                                      Master Leot does wonderful carving and has done period spectacles
                                      Enjoy
                                      Lady Ratiri
                                      in Atenveldt

                                    • Michael Hurley
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 10 9:17 PM
                                        On May 9, 2011, at 12:28 PM, Barbara wrote:
                                        > Oh, do! Love to see people wearing them. I have found 18th C glasses
                                        > at
                                        > this site:
                                        > http://jas-townsend.com/

                                        Townsend used to have a pair of folding, faux-ivory medieval
                                        spectacles frames for sale. They don't list them on the site anymore,
                                        but you may try contacting them. They might still have a pair or two
                                        lurking in a warehouse corner they'd be willing to sell.
                                        --
                                        Auf wiedersehen!
                                        Michael

                                        "..No."

                                        -Real Genius
                                      • Jeff Gedney
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 11 1:47 PM
                                          unfortunately not. They have not carried these at all for several years
                                          I tried going that route a couple years ago, and was told that they are
                                          just not available.
                                          Capt Elias