Thread for hand-hemming veils

  • DeNae Leverentz
    Message 1 of 22 , May 5, 2011
      With the encouragement of several very kind list members, here's a question!
      I'm currently redoing one of my veils, as it turned out to be a bit
      uncomfortable to wear. One of my lovely mentors taught me a reliable and
      easy way to hem the veils by hand. However, we didn't have time to discuss
      what thread I should be doing this with.

      The veil is made of white linen, a slightly heavier weight that I really
      wanted, but it was available. It at least has a nice drape to it. I'm not
      familiar enough with the actual weights to tell you, but it is lighter than
      my gown. The gown is made of Fabric.com's medium weight linen, for
      reference.

      I'd like some guidance on what type of thread I should be using in hemming
      this veil. Now that I'm hand-sewing, I might as well do it properly!

      Thank you,
      DeNae
      No SCA name yet
      Northshield

    • Salli Weston, Scott Theisen
      Message 2 of 22 , May 5, 2011
        On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:32 AM, DeNae Leverentz <dleverentz@...>wrote:

        > I'd like some guidance on what type of thread I should be using in hemming
        > this veil. Now that I'm hand-sewing, I might as well do it properly!

        I'm a huge fan of using silk for handsewing, but if you ever bleach it the
        silk will yellow. I find it to be the easiest and most enjoyable to work
        with. I've also found the Gutterman brand is readily available at JoAnn's
        Fabrics.

        Vladimir Radescu
        Petranella Fitzallen
        Northshield

      • Amy Heilveil
        Message 3 of 22 , May 5, 2011
          DeNae,

          Petranella is correct, and I love using silk thread for handsewing. If you
          want to use linen thread though, in keeping with your linen veil, I would
          suggest Londonderry's 50/30 linen thread. It will take you a bit longer, as
          linen catches more than silk (you can swipe the linen thread through some
          beeswax to smooth it out some, if you wish) and I generally use smaller
          lengths of linen than I do when using silk. You can find the linen thread
          that I recommended at Nordic Needle, if you're in Fargo - which is helpful
          because you can bring the linen with you and get the 'perfect' shade of
          'white' to match your veil. (or you can mail order it from several sources
          on the internet.

          Smiles,
          Despina de la likes linen and silk threads

        • Sarah Michele Ford
          Message 4 of 22 , May 5, 2011
            On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 11:32, DeNae Leverentz <dleverentz@...> wrote:

            I'd like some guidance on what type of thread I should be using in hemming
            > this veil. Now that I'm hand-sewing, I might as well do it properly!

            Any standard-weight sewing thread will be an appropriate weight thread. I,
            too, use the gutermann threads which I can get at JoAnn's. You can also find
            lightweight linen threads (I buy weaving thread from Webs -
            http://www.yarn.com); a reasonable substitute for linen would be 100%
            cotton, which is also readily available at any sewing store.

            HTH,
            Alianor
          • dark_lady_of_the_sidhe
            Message 5 of 22 , May 5, 2011
              <dleverentz@...> wrote:
              > I'd like some guidance on what type of thread I should be using in
              > hemming this veil.

              I enjoy sewing with silk thread, but I don't recommend it on anything you plan to bleach. Yes, silk thread does yellow when bleached, but even worse, it becomes brittle and eventually just snaps. It can work for items like veils that don't get terribly soiled, but things that are often washed and bleached (like fighting shirts/chemises) become problematic. Use linen, cotton, or even poly-cotton if that's all you have if you anticipate bleaching something more than very occasionally.

              ~Eithni
            • lilinah@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 22 , May 6, 2011
                DeNae Leverentz wrote:
                > I'd like some guidance on what type of thread I should be using in hemming
                > this veil. Now that I'm hand-sewing, I might as well do it properly!

                I usually use linen thread when sewing linen, unless i have found
                evidence of other fibers for the sewing thread.

                I no longer remember where i bought my linen threads. There are only
                two possibilities for me:
                Lacis
                http://lacis.com/catalog/
                or
                Needle In a Haystack
                http://www.needlestack.com/

                Lacis is a store oriented to all sorts of historical costuming and
                textile/fiber arts - costumers from all over Planet Earth are
                familiar with Lacis.

                Needle in a Haystack is oriented to all sorts of embroidery and
                offers an amazing array of embroidery and needlework supplies and
                tools.

                Both sell in their brick and mortar stores -- if anyone is near the
                SF Bay Area i recommend a field trip -- and on-line which is useful
                for everyone :-)

                Both are unique local shops, offering a vast array of goods, run by
                knowledgeable and helpful folks, so if you have any questions, you
                can phone them.

                I bought white, "natural", and a medium indigo color.
                --
                Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
                the persona formerly known as Anahita
                Message 7 of 22 , May 6, 2011
                  Despina wrote:
                  >... If you want to use linen thread though, in keeping with your
                  >linen veil, I would suggest Londonderry's 50/30 linen thread.
                  SNIP
                  >You can find the linen thread that I recommended at Nordic Needle,
                  >if you're in Fargo - which is helpful because you can bring the
                  >linen with you and get the 'perfect' shade of 'white' to match your
                  >veil. (or you can mail order it from several sources on the internet.

                  Nordic Needle also sells via the web, as i have bought non-SCA
                  oriented supplies from them:
                  http://nordicneedle.com

                  I had a question and phoned them and the ladies i spoke with were
                  lovely and helpful.
                  --
                  Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
                  the persona formerly known as Anahita
                • Diane Sawyer Dooley
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 6, 2011
                    Reconstructing History has linen sewing thread, too:
                    http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/t/threads/sewing-threads

                    They have some pretty spiffy embroidery thread, too. :-)

                    Tasha

                  • Barbara
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 7, 2011
                      I am looking for a 16th cent print or painting in which there are women
                      doing various needlecrafts, and one woman making lace. Several are
                      wearing glasses. Anyone know where I can find it again? I thought I
                      saved the source, but now I can't find it again.
                      Thanks,
                      Barbeta
                    • Kristen
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 7, 2011
                        I am looking for a 16th cent print or painting in which there are women
                        doing various needlecrafts, and one woman making lace. Several are
                        wearing glasses,
                        Thanks,
                        Barbeta

                        I’ve never seen it, but I would sure be interested in it!
                        Elisa

                      • Heather Rose Jones
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 7, 2011

                          > I am looking for a 16th cent print or painting in which there are women
                          > doing various needlecrafts, and one woman making lace. Several are
                          > wearing glasses,
                          > Thanks,
                          > Barbeta

                          The title page for a 1597 work titled "Schön neues Modelbuch", as illustrated on p.149 of:

                          Abegg, Margaret. 1978. Apropos Patterns for Embroidery Lace and Woven Textiles. Schriften der Abegg-Stiftung Bern im Verlag Stämpfli & Cie ag Bern.

                          shows a group of women performing various types of textiles arts, one of whom wears glasses.

                          I have no idea if it's the picture you were thinking of, or whether it will serve as well.

                          Tangwystyl

                        • Barbara
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 7, 2011
                            Alas, I don't have that book, so I don't know if that is the print I am
                            looking for. I wish I knew better in what context I saw the
                            print/painting that I remember.
                            Barbeta

                            On 5/7/2011 5:30 PM, Heather Rose Jones wrote:

                            > The title page for a 1597 work titled "Schön neues Modelbuch", as
                            > illustrated on p.149 of:
                            >
                            > Abegg, Margaret. 1978. Apropos Patterns for Embroidery Lace and Woven
                            > Textiles. Schriften der Abegg-Stiftung Bern im Verlag Stämpfli & Cie
                            > ag Bern.
                            >
                            > shows a group of women performing various types of textiles arts, one
                            > of whom wears glasses.
                            >
                            > I have no idea if it's the picture you were thinking of, or whether it
                            > will serve as well.
                            >
                            > Tangwystyl

                          • Heather Rose Jones
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 7, 2011
                              On May 7, 2011, at 4:26 PM, Barbara wrote:

                              > Alas, I don't have that book, so I don't know if that is the print I am
                              > looking for. I wish I knew better in what context I saw the
                              > print/painting that I remember.
                              > Barbeta

                              Here's the picture on someone's Filckr stream:

                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/bibliodyssey/2859148512/in/set-72157607300744021

                              Tangwystyl
                            • Barbara
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 8, 2011
                                Yes, Yes,Yes!!! That's the one. Thank you so much!
                                I wonder where I saw it before? I thought there was a bobbin lace maker
                                as well and I don't see her, but it was the glasses I was after! Is this
                                Modelbuch on the arizona.edu site? I couldn't find it.
                                Thanks again,
                                Barbeta

                                On 5/7/2011 10:22 PM, Heather Rose Jones wrote:

                                > Here's the picture on someone's Filckr stream:
                                >
                                > http://www.flickr.com/photos/bibliodyssey/2859148512/in/set-72157607300744021
                                >
                                > Tangwystyl
                                >
                                > _
                                > _,___

                              • Des & Jan Howard
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 8, 2011
                                  Elisa
                                  Pic uploaded to group photos in "Ranif's Bits". These
                                  specs are a tad earlier than the scene under
                                  discussion, about 1490, but, they are a shift away from
                                  the folding pince-nez type.
                                  Ranif

                                  On 8/05/2011 4:42 AM, Kristen wrote:
                                  > I’ve never seen it, but I would sure be interested in it!
                                  > Elisa

                                  -32.656072 149.840624
                                • Kristen
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 8, 2011
                                    Elisa
                                    Pic uploaded to group photos in "Ranif's Bits".

                                    Thank you. As my eyesight matures, I can no longer do much of my embroidery with my contact lenses alone, especially in dim or fluorescent light. I’d really like to acquire a pair of specs that can be used as reading/work glasses along with my contacts when I’m at events. I generally portray a wealthy woman from the early 1400’s, but I’m interested in any depictions of medieval spectacles.

                                    Pax,

                                    Elisa

                                  • Barbara
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 9, 2011
                                      Interesting looking glasses. I've never seen the threads around the ears
                                      to hold them on, but that is certainly better than having to hold them on
                                      manually.

                                      I am on the hunt for more authentic looking glasses that I can put my
                                      prescription in.

                                      Thanks,
                                      Barbeta

                                      > Elisa
                                      > Pic uploaded to group photos in "Ranif's Bits". These
                                      > specs are a tad earlier than the scene under
                                      > discussion, about 1490, but, they are a shift away from
                                      > the folding pince-nez type.
                                      > Ranif
                                    • Madame du Pont
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 9, 2011
                                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Barbara <harpnfiddle@...> wrote:

                                        > I am looking for a 16th cent print or painting in which there are women
                                        > doing various needlecrafts, and one woman making lace. Several are
                                        > wearing glasses. Anyone know where I can find it again? I thought I
                                        > saved the source, but now I can't find it again.
                                        > Thanks,
                                        > Barbeta

                                        A very crafty Italian, Brizio by name, was wearing all day his glasses he fashioned at Saturday's Hocktide Emprise I will upload the picture him wearing them. He put his prescription glass in them after finding a place that made round prescription glasses. He is an armourer and makes many things and I am sure would make some since that is what he does.
                                        His business: http://brianbrownarmoury.com/, he is with the Shire of Briarok (Roseburg, OR), Principality of the Summits -An Tir.

                                        Cheers,
                                        Madame du Pont
                                        Shire de Tymberhavene
                                        Kingdom d'An Tir
                                      • Barbara
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 9, 2011
                                          Oh, do! Love to see people wearing them. I have found 18th C glasses at
                                          this site:
                                          http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=3701ad06ccdcac49d2f83a8e4402d82b

                                          Which will do in a pinch, but the more examples I can see first, the better.

                                          Barbeta

                                          > A very crafty Italian, Brizio by name, was wearing all day his glasses he
                                          > fashioned at Saturday's Hocktide Emprise I will upload the picture him
                                          > wearing them. He put his prescription glass in them after finding a place
                                          > that made round prescription glasses. He is an armourer and makes many
                                          > things and I am sure would make some since that is what he does.
                                          > His business: http://brianbrownarmoury.com/, he is with the Shire of
                                          > Briarok (Roseburg, OR), Principality of the Summits -An Tir.
                                          >
                                          > Cheers,
                                          > Madame du Pont
                                          > Shire de Tymberhavene
                                          > Kingdom d'An Tir

                                        • MITCHELL J BARTON
                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 9, 2011
                                            Reading the thread on the illustration of the spectacles, and the interest in period glasses, I am presenting the website of a friend who does bone carving. http://www.carvedinbone.com/<http://www.carvedinbone.com/>
                                            Master Leot does wonderful carving and has done period spectacles
                                            Enjoy
                                            Lady Ratiri
                                            in Atenveldt

                                          • Michael Hurley
                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 10, 2011
                                              On May 9, 2011, at 12:28 PM, Barbara wrote:
                                              > Oh, do! Love to see people wearing them. I have found 18th C glasses
                                              > at
                                              > this site:
                                              > http://jas-townsend.com/

                                              Townsend used to have a pair of folding, faux-ivory medieval
                                              spectacles frames for sale. They don't list them on the site anymore,
                                              but you may try contacting them. They might still have a pair or two
                                              lurking in a warehouse corner they'd be willing to sell.
                                              --
                                              Auf wiedersehen!
                                              Michael

                                              "..No."

                                              -Real Genius
                                            • Jeff Gedney
                                              Message 22 of 22 , May 11, 2011
                                                unfortunately not. They have not carried these at all for several years
                                                I tried going that route a couple years ago, and was told that they are
                                                just not available.
                                                Capt Elias