Re: List Etiquette

  • Kender
    Message 1 of 39 , May 5, 2011
      This is the only list I'm on which insists on bottom-posting. This creates two problems for me. I'm forced to scan down the copied earlier post(s) before I get to the new one, and now I very rarely post on any SCA groups because I can't remember on which one I will be berated for top-posting.

      I absolutely hate the waste of time it takes to scroll through an email, especially on digest, when people don't trim their posts. I don't think top-posting or bottom-posting makes that much of a difference as long as members are trimming out old posts. We should be able to remove the entire prior post, and if someone can't follow the thread, they are available on the Yahoo group page, in order.

      In Usenet days, it was easy to intersperse comments. Sometimes that is the best way to reply, when commenting on different parts of a post. However, on some email programs it is difficult to do this. With Gmail it takes me three or four tries to get it to do what I want it to do in properly quoting someone. Gmail does not add > at the beginning of the line but keeps the text as a block. If I change it, it can remove the quote entirely or mess up text wrapping and line spacing. This is very frustrating, so I usually just leave in the relevant parts of an email and post above it. If I were to post from my phone, it would keep the post I replied to at the bottom of the email, and there is no way for me to remove it (as far as I know.)

      I am a moderator on another Yahoo group, and if people post without trimming down to at most one prior post, I would set them on moderated status, and send them a personal email asking them to trim their post before it will be approved.

      -Kunigunde von Darmstadt
      (Kender)
    • George A. Trosper
      Message 39 of 39 , May 6, 2011
        On 5/3/2011 7:28 PM, Giulia Isabella wrote:
        > I prefer top posting to bottom posting
        Why?

        George/Gerard
        Loch Salann, Artemisia