Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: List Etiquette

  • Hilla Hamasdohtor
    Message 1 of 39 , May 4, 2011
      Myself, I prefer being on a list that lets its members decide how they
      are going to post. Trimming posts is proper etiquette. Being polite and
      clear is proper etiquette. Top-posting vs. bottom-posting vs.
      interspersed posting, and signing posts is a *preference* and feelings
      about them vary. There is no hard-and-fast rule on e-lists or forums
      about these things, because circumstances vary regarding when one or
      another is appropriate.

      In all honesty, I have been on this list for quite a while, have lurked
      and read, but I have never posted because I am a top-poster. I trim my
      posts, but I'm not going to change the way I post when I post perfectly
      appropriately. The first week or two I was on this list, I saw someone
      get "yelled at" pretty nastily, and have seen others get "corrected" for
      top-posting. Seriously, I don't want to post on a list where people
      can't post the way that they are most comfortable with, as long as they
      aren't doing so impolitely and/or un-trimmed spammily. Seriously, people
      have written perfectly good posts and then the comment is -- don't
      top-post. Or-- edited to remove top-posting. That is just... pretty
      nuts, if you ask me.

      Can we just worry if the posts make sense and don't repeat all the last
      posts and ease up on whether or not the person top-posts, bottom-posts,
      or intersperses? And, if people don't want to sign their emails, can we
      be okay with that? Do we really have to send out corrections like this
      is some grade school for stuff like that? It's very restrictive and
      doesn't make for a very friendly group atmosphere.

      And that's why I've been lurking silently.

      -Hilla, who will NOT bottom-post.

    • George A. Trosper
      Message 39 of 39 , May 6, 2011
        On 5/3/2011 7:28 PM, Giulia Isabella wrote:
        > I prefer top posting to bottom posting
        Why?

        George/Gerard
        Loch Salann, Artemisia