RE: [Authentic_SCA] List Etiquette

  • Robert Van Rens
    Message 1 of 39 , May 4, 2011
      It's always nice if people sign emails; your email address is NOT your signature. Since this is an SCA list, it makes sense that people use an SCA name, since many of us are more likely to know them by that name.
      THAT SAID, the "posting ettiquette" rules on this list have been INSANLEY nit-picky and heavy-handed. Instead of allowing for clear, concise communication, the constant censuring of posters for "failing to top-post" or other infractions of imaginary "netiquette" rules comes across as petty, micro-managing, and frankly annoying.
      E-mail is NOT NOT NOT the same as written hard-copy communication. You may not like interspersed replies, but TOO BAD - on a complex topic, that is often the most effective way to address multiple points. You may not like "top posting", but if a post is edited carefully, it makes sure that the relevant point is made as effectively and succinctly as possible.
      Now, I am second to none in my rabid policing of grammar, spelling, and rules of composition. But in the past, the list-owners have spent so much time and energy making sure that anyone who violated their precious stylistic peccadilloes was publicly admonished, it tended to both derail discussion and scare away newcomers. While not a newcomer, I rarely post, because it's generally not worth the hassle. Any number of first-time posters have left after the first time because they were rightly offended by insistence that they do it the list-owners way, or not at all.
      Yrs,
      Eadric the Potter

      Rob Van Rens

      www.eadricthepotter.com

      To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
      From: wodeford@...
      Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 22:32:44 +0000
      Subject: [Authentic_SCA] List Etiquette

      Please take a few moments to review our List Etiquette and expectations at

      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4HrATQYU6ZsbJgUM6SZgBzwVPCi383vpuXzv6CKa9JhNLUSa54LbsX_p9Z5aEEtLPmTohCukpHeVhv4HUVas/List%20Etiquette%20and%20Expectations

      As the person press ganged into becoming list-owner by the previous list owner, I and the rest of the moderators have been politely requesting compliance from our members for some time now. In the years since the group was formed, technology has changed to allow users to read and post email via smart-phone. Current traffic on the group is not particularly heavy.

      So, Members, what say you? Do you care? Do you want to know who you are reading/addressing or is a truncated e-mail ID or Yahoo screen name sufficient? Do you care if you read repeated messages, particularly in digest form? Are top-posted messages easier or harder for you to read?

      Your thoughts are appreciated.

      Saionji no Hana

      West Kingdom

      Authentic_SCA list owner

    • George A. Trosper
      Message 39 of 39 , May 6, 2011
        On 5/3/2011 7:28 PM, Giulia Isabella wrote:
        > I prefer top posting to bottom posting
        Why?

        George/Gerard
        Loch Salann, Artemisia