An introduction

  • arnbjornraudfeldr
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 12, 2011
      I am Arnbjorn Rauðfelder, a Norseman from an as-yet not nailed down time period. Mundanely I am Ross Christenson, a teacher of middle school children, and a parent of two, soon to be three fantastic children.

      I am very interested in maintaining as much authenticity as possible in my persona development, garb and accessories. I am finding that the pervasive attitude in my local group is that authenticity is nice, but not terribly necessary. I have been told many times that research is not enjoyable. It may be a character flaw, but for me that's one of the most enjoyable parts of this vast adventure we are all on. I cannot imagine not wanting to know more...

      I am feel like a beginner in every way. I have been involved a little less than three years, am learning heavy fighting, and just purchased a bow. I have made tablet woven trim, many belts and pouches, a drinking horn, two sets of shoes; one adult and one child size. I am currently making another pouch, Birka-style, a woolen hood and and considering a caftan. I will likely prowl the forums, but may occasionally deliver my two cents.

      Well met,
      Arnbjorn
    • Scott Catledge
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 12, 2011
        MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members who receive their list-mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post. Please be sure to trim any portion of a previous message that does not require repetition. Thank you. Saionji no Hana, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

        REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED

        If you haven’t picked up Woven into the Earth: Textile finds in Norse
        Greenland by
        <http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&sort=relevancer
        ank&search-alias=books&field-author=Else%20Ostergaard> Else Ostergaard, I
        highly recommend it. A sequel is also out.

        Colm
      • rosslchristenson@shaw.ca
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 12, 2011
          MODERATOR NOTE: Please be sure to sign your posts so we know who is posting what. Thank you.
          Saionji no Hana, Pacific Time Zone Moderator

          Thanks for the book selection; it looks awesome. Saw a couple of others on Amazon I may need to check out as well. Things like this re why I'm grateful for groups like these!
        • Madame du Pont
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 13, 2011
            Bonjour Monsieur Arnbjorn,

            Bienvenue to the adventure! Thou art doing a fine job. I have been working on persona development, and it is true that only a few are interested in fine tuning 'who they are' in the SCA. But as we work on this ourselves perhaps others will want to also.

            Keep up the good work and get involved in the Arts and Sciences at events and thou wilt find many kindred souls.

            At this Yahoo Group, if you go to 'Files' and at the bottom is a short persona paper entitled "Who Are You". At the end are 7 questions to help start on persona in depth journey. I also have a more extensive one..like 50 questions. Email me if you would like that one also.

            From where doest thou hail? Thy branch? Perhaps we shall meet some day.

            Adieu,
            Madame du Pont
            Chateau du Merry Swan
            Shire de Tymberhavene (Home of the An Tir/West War, June 30-July 4)
            (Southern Oregon on the coast)
            Kingdom d'An Tir
          • arnbjornraudfeldr
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 13, 2011
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Madame du Pont" <madamedupont@...> wrote:

              > Bonjour Monsieur Arnbjorn,
              >
              > Bienvenue to the adventure! Thou art doing a fine job. ...
              >

              >I thank you Madame. I have already won our local A&S title for last year; it was an amazing experience. Despite being the only competitor...

              The chance of our paths crossing is not beyond the realm of possibility, as I too am subject of the Kingdom of An Tir. I currently reside in the Shire of Bitter End, in the Principality of Avacal. And I shall most certainly seek out the document you mentioned.

              Monsieur Arnbjorn
            • Scat@cfl.rr.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 13, 2011
                REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED BY MODERATOR

                I will review the seven and request your 50. My lady and I were very active
                in persona in Meridies and GA, taught classes on Speaking Forsoothly, are
                principles of the Order of Justinian for persona research and teaching, and
                sponsored several Golden circles at events within which one spoke forsoothly
                and confined conversations to period or SCA topics. Health has eliminated
                her and greatly restricted me since our flight to Trimaris because of the
                Deluge-the 24-ft storm surge from Katrina that drowned our 500-home
                subdivision that was 5 miles north of the 500 year flood zone line. We lost
                out cabinets of persona material and hundreds of books related to medieval
                garb, food, and social customs (we actually lost over 2000 but 700+ were on
                names and many others on grammars and dictionaries. We are both 100%
                disabled but I keep on kicking.

                Colm Dubh

                Herald Extraordinaire
              • Madame du Pont
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 14, 2011
                  > I will review the seven and request your 50. My lady and I were very active in persona in Meridies and GA, taught classes on Speaking Forsoothly, are principles of the Order of Justinian for persona research and teaching, and sponsored several Golden circles at events within which one spoke forsoothly and confined conversations to period or SCA topics.
                  > Colm Dubh
                  > Herald Extraordinaire

                  Dear Colm Dubh,
                  What a sad story. I am so sorry for all that ye lost.
                  I shall get the other questions to thee...need to scan them or something like that. I shall work on it on the morrow.

                  I am glad to hear of your persona influence. It is was makes the SCA for me, otherwise we are just dressed up for a costume party.

                  With just a very little effort (I encourage even just 'greetings' in persona), our events will have an air of the Middle Ages in Europe.

                  Continue thy quest for the Dream, it takes us beyond sad situations to a place we want to be: The Current Middle Ages.

                  A votre service,
                  Madame du Pont
                  Chateau du Merry Swan
                  Shire de Tymberhavene
                  Kindgom d'An Tir
                • Madame du Pont
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 14, 2011
                    > >I thank you Madame. I have already won our local A&S title for last year; it was an amazing experience. Despite being the only competitor...
                    >
                    > The chance of our paths crossing is not beyond the realm of possibility, as I too am subject of the Kingdom of An Tir. I currently reside in the Shire of Bitter End, in the Principality of Avacal. And I shall most certainly seek out the document you mentioned.
                    >
                    > Monsieur Arnbjorn

                    Bonjour Arnbjorn,

                    Congratulations on winning thy local A & S championship. To enter and make the effort sets ye apart from many with good intentions, but never follow through. Thou art representing thy shire well.

                    If ever I get to an event up north, I shall post on here. There are a couple others who work on persona I would like to meet up with. I have done 2 persona challenges down in the Principality of the Summits. Only a few were involved, but it sure made the event more fun and challenging and it is actually easy when you have others to interact with. You just have to stop a little to think about how to phrase something and not talk about modern things.

                    Hang in there to the bitter end, and hopefully our paths will cross.

                    Cheers,
                    Madame du Pont
                    Shire de Tymberhavene (Home of the An Tir/West War, June 30-July 4)
                    Principality du Summits
                    Kingdom d'An Tir
                  • Scat@cfl.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 14, 2011
                      Thank you. My heart looks into yon past wherein mine eyes cannot see.

                      Unfortunately, my disability allows me to use incorrect words in lieu of the
                      correct ones; e.d., 'principle' when I obviously meant 'principal.' For a
                      Professor Emeritus in English, doing so is quite embarrassing (I even wrote
                      the pamphlet for the VA on that subject, called "Pouring over books."

                      Colm

                      House Black Dove