Re: [Authentic_SCA] Staining bone brown

  • cat
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2011
      Very cool! Thanks for sharing
      - cat from caldarium

      Sent from my BlackBerry
    • Michael Hurley
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2011
        On Apr 7, 2011, at 9:40 AM, groomporter wrote:
        > When mixed with pure glycerol or other simple alcohols it will
        > result in a violent combustion reaction.

        Very neat tip. Thanks! And I can personally attest to the above
        warning about potassium permanganate. It's a really cool way to start
        a fire without anyone near it. Old boy-scout trick, in fact. When
        laying the fire, you put a small can (tuna/cat food, whatever) with
        some house-hold glycerin in it in the base of the fire and make sure
        the fire is well coated with lighter fluid. When ready, you solemnly
        march to the fire, pray some gibberish over it while waving your hands
        around and surreptitiously pour the potassium permanganate crystals
        you had up your sleeve into the fire and walk away. After a little
        while (oxygen is also needed in the reaction, so the depth of the can,
        amount of stuff around the opening and amount of wind will affect
        this), the fire will burst into flame seemingly entirely on it's own!
        It definitely takes a bit of practice to do safely, but works a treat
        when done properly. Scares the crap out of the little kids, too! :D
        --
        Auf wiedersehen!
        Michael

        "..No."