Re: Folly Bells

  • Karen_Larsdatter
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2010
      Oda asked:

      > Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might look for good
      > source material on folly bells?

      I'd suggest looking for "crotal bells" -- this is a term (used by archaeologists, among others) for this general shape of small bell.

      A couple of resources:
      http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/crotal-bells.html
      http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/B/bells.htm
      http://www.finds.org.uk/database (use this site to find crotal bells found in England -- though it can find A LOT of things) ;-)

      FWIW, I don't know of any resources that have specific examples of what the baldric or belt were _definitely_ made of, but there are other medieval belts and other accessories that might inspire avenues for re-creation; see http://larsdatter.com/belts.htm or http://larsdatter.com/wide-belts.htm for example.

      Karen Larsdatter
      www.larsdatter.com