Folly Bells

  • Heidi G. Haywood
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2010
      Hello all!

      Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might look for good source material on folly bells? So far, I've managed to find one article on-line and a mention of bells in the Museum of London Accessories book, and that's about it. Might there be another term that's used? I'm particularly interested in the baldric style bells, and am trying to figure out what the baldric itself might have been made of (cloth, tablet weaving, chain, etc?)

      -Oda
    • Karen_Larsdatter
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 27, 2010
        Oda asked:

        > Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might look for good
        > source material on folly bells?

        I'd suggest looking for "crotal bells" -- this is a term (used by archaeologists, among others) for this general shape of small bell.

        A couple of resources:
        http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/crotal-bells.html
        http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/B/bells.htm
        http://www.finds.org.uk/database (use this site to find crotal bells found in England -- though it can find A LOT of things) ;-)

        FWIW, I don't know of any resources that have specific examples of what the baldric or belt were _definitely_ made of, but there are other medieval belts and other accessories that might inspire avenues for re-creation; see http://larsdatter.com/belts.htm or http://larsdatter.com/wide-belts.htm for example.

        Karen Larsdatter
        www.larsdatter.com