Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Patching garments?

  • Heather Rose Jones
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 25, 2010
      On Oct 24, 2010, at 10:57 PM, LJonthebay wrote:

      > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <Scat@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Surely we have some experts on patching on this list. Heather Rose Jones or
      >> Robin of Netherton should be able to answer our questions,
      >>
      >> Are they on line?
      >
      > Please see message 58509:

      I would also like to note, I am not an "expert on patching" -- I'm an expert at remembering the citations for odd bits of information I've run across over the years.

      Tangwystyl
    • Marianne Perdomo
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 25, 2010
        Thanks to all for a very interesting conversation on a topic I hadn't
        thought of :)

        Cheers!

        Marianne

      • George A. Trosper
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 27, 2010
          On 10/23/2010 4:56 PM, Karen wrote:
          > There's also the patches in a garment worn by the beggar in the story of St.
          > Martin, on an altarpiece painted in 1496, now at the Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
          > in Austria:
          > http://tarvos.imareal.oeaw.ac.at/server/images/7003321.JPG
          >

          > Karen Larsdatter
          > www.larsdatter.com
          Beggars are well known--very reasonably--for exaggerating and
          emphasizing their bodily deformities and lacks, so I wouldn't be
          surprised if the very obvious patching here were part of a similar pattern.

          --George/Gerard
        • xina007eu
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 28, 2010
            Hi Asfridhr,

            the tunic of St Francis of Assisi that can be seen in the basilica at Assisi has been patched multiple times, and I think different stitches were used. I remember reading that some of the pieces seem to have come from the tunic of St Clare, and that these patches are sewn on with a special stitch, but I can't find the reference at the moment.

            With a multiple-layer garment (e.g. an Elizabethan doublet) you will only have to stitch the patch on the outside if the inner layers are intact. The doublet of Don Garzia de' Medici (a young man from one of the wealthiest families in Europe) has a patch on one elbow, which indicates that patching and repairing garments was not restricted to the lower classes.

            Best regards,

            Christina

            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > It's reached that stage in my garb wardrobe, where I need to start repairing things, mostly patching holes and tears in seams. I *know* that there are garments out there with patches (the Y-piece on the Bocksten hood springs to mind), but what I'm having trouble is finding information on *how* garments were patched.
            >
            > I'm guessing that patches were sewn to the outside of the garment, but what happened on the inside? Were the edges of the repair hemmed facing inside the garment, or outside towards the patch? Were any special patching stitches used?
            >
            > Any help would be appreciated,
            > ~Asfridhr

          • Heather Rose Jones
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 28, 2010
              On Oct 28, 2010, at 3:48 AM, xina007eu wrote:

              > Hi Asfridhr,
              >
              > the tunic of St Francis of Assisi that can be seen in the basilica at Assisi has been patched multiple times, and I think different stitches were used. I remember reading that some of the pieces seem to have come from the tunic of St Clare, and that these patches are sewn on with a special stitch, but I can't find the reference at the moment

              You're probably thinking of the article on those garments in:

              Flury-Lemberg, Mechthild. 1988. Textile Conservation and Research. Schriften der Abegg-Stiftung, Bern.

              Tangwystyl
            • CLEY
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 28, 2010
                Isn't there a story that Francis wished his robe to be made of patches,
                as a token of humility?

                Or am I confused with someone else?

                Arlys
              • LJonthebay
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 28, 2010
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, CLEY <cley56@...> wrote:

                  > Isn't there a story that Francis wished his robe to be made of patches,
                  > as a token of humility?
                  >
                  > Or am I confused with someone else?

                  Buddhist priests wear a patchwork mantle called a kesa (Japanese), jiasha (Chinese) or kasaya (Sanskrit). Originally pieced from dirty rags, they eventually became far more opulent as donors gifted temples with silks belonging to deceased relatives. At least one description I've read seems to indicate that the act of constructing a kesa from many small pieces was considered a devotional exercise.

                  Ironically, when I started looking for images to post, I discovered that the Kyoto National Museum currently has an exhibition on kesa:
                  http://www.kyohaku.go.jp/eng/tokubetsu/101009/tokubetsu.html
                  If you scroll down, the kesa shown at the bottom of the article is pieced from silk and gold brocade.

                  (Pieced garments also became fashionable in 16th century Japan. A number of surviving robes from that period are either pieced or decorated to look as if they are pieced from alternating blocks of fabric. There's also at least one example that bears an uncanny resemblance to a "crazy quilt.")

                  Saionji no Hana
                  West Kingdom
                • Quokkaqueen
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 5, 2010
                    <<snip>>
                    My first response, upon reading
                    > Asfridhr's speculation was to say, "no, on the inside!" because that is the
                    > most common method I learned for darning/patching frayed fabric.
                    <<snip>>

                    I found a mention of an item patched on the inside-- one of the hoods from Viking Age Dublin.
                    E. Wincott Heckett. 2003. "Viking Age Headcoverings from Dublin" (Dublin: Royal Irish Academy")
                    pp. 44, 46:
                    "In wool cap DHC32 (Pl. VII, Fig. 52) a large patch has been sewn to the inside of the right-hand part. The sides of the patch have been turned under and it has been slip-stitched to the inside of the cap. If the patch had been put on to over a hole, placing it like this on the inside would leave the rough edges of the tear exposed to view on the outside, which is contrary to usual sewing practice. Placing the patch as it is means that the smooth surface would have been against the wearer's ear. This may suggest that the patch was put on to provide extra protection and warmth, or to strengthen a threadbare rather than a torn area. It may also be that it was unimportant that ragged edges were left on the outside. This would be true if the cap was worn under another headcovering or indeed as a nightcap."

                    There are other patches in there, too, but I thought this particular one on the inside might be interesting as a possible exception to the rule. :)

                    ~Asfridhr