Tomatoes and potatoes was Hello,

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2010
      Back on Sept. 29, Jarlath Riley said:
      <<< I do not have my own garb yet, but I am trying to get authentic garb. I do not mind a stew with potatoes and tomatoes, but I never mind potatoes and tomatoes. >>>

      Both potatoes and tomatoes are "period" but not "medieval". Still, unless they are at an event being staged in the late 16th C, it is better not to use them. Even then they were really only known in parts of Italy and Spain and they shout "modern" to me.

      For more info on these see these files in the FOOD-VEGETABLES section in the Florilegium.

      16C-Tomato-art (16K) 9/ 5/02 "Sixteenth Century Italian and Spanish Tomato References" by Johnnae llyn Lewis,
      Helewyse de Birkestad, and Brighid ni Chiarain.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/16C-Tomato-art.html

      Tomatoes-art (22K) 10/15/06 "Love, Death or Mere Curiosity? The Tomato
      in Renaissance Europe" by Mistress Renata Kestryl of Highwynds
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/Tomatoes-art.html

      tomatoes-msg (34K) 1/17/05 Tomatoes in period.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/tomatoes-msg.html

      potatoes-msg (142K) 5/15/08 Period white and sweet potato use. Recipes.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/potatoes-msg.html

      If you've never been there, the address of the Florilegium can be found in my signature line below. Since you are new to the SCA, I'd also recommend you take a look at the NEWCOMERS section. There is also a section on clothing.

      Stefan

      --------