Re: [Authentic_SCA] OT: taking care of "archaelogical" stuff

  • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2010
      Mineral oil is an excellent choice for the key.
      It neutral and is available widely.
      I would not go with Olive oil, or nut oils.
      They are complex have several vegetative components, and can go rancid.
      You want an oil that will evaporate completely or oxidize to varnish, rather than turn to a gummy goo or go rancid.

      3in1oil is a good choice but it will evaporate rapidly requireing frequent reapplications.

      You should be able to get neatsfoot oil on line.
      http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-31028&TID=nextag5&EID=X1845001&catalog_code=1X845&zmam=1460880&zmas=1&zmac=36&zmap=X1-31028
      http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/21998-00.aspx?feature=Product_3&kw=neatsfoot
      are two places

      you can also use boiled linseed oil for the leather, though I dont like it as much.

      Brush clean the leather items and pack them away in a dry place wrapped in acid free paper until it arrives.
      Dont seal the container to prevent the accumulation of condensation.