Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Questions about Mantles/Hoods/Short Cloaks

  • Kendra Deveraux
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 23, 2010
      Thank you for the early period information (and yep I was asking female
      dress, I just had a moment and forgot to include it.)

      Thanks
      Kendra
    • Karen_Larsdatter
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 24, 2010
        Kendra Dey wrote:

        > I love the idea of hoods (however you call them) but I'm having
        > difficultly finding period documentation on a particular
        > style/general style at least for my general interests of Viking
        > and 14th century English.
        >
        > The ones I love functionally are basically short cloaks (waist
        > length in general) with no hood. I was wanting to make one out of
        > fur for winter events and wanted some additional input.

        I haven't found that particular style in either a Viking or a 14th century English context. As has been noted earlier, what you're describing resembles a 16th century German overgarment known as a "gollar" -- see http://research.fibergeek.com/category/garbclothing/16th-century-german/page/5/ for examples.

        I will say that I've seen a related sort of garment in very the very late 14th century; it appears to be a hood, but the women are wearing them with the hood pulled down.
        http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/ConsulterElementNum?O=IFN-08100553&E=JPEG&Deb=56&Fin=56&Param=C
        http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/ConsulterElementNum?O=IFN-08100553&E=JPEG&Deb=59&Fin=59&Param=C
        They are from from a Tacuinum Sanitatis produced c. 1390-1400 in Pavia or Milan.

        If you're looking for historically accurate 14th century English outerwear, I'd suggest checking out the women's hoods at http://larsdatter.com/hoods.htm or possibly the mantles at http://larsdatter.com/cloaks.htm -- I don't have a linkspage (yet -- hmm, maybe soon!) for some of the less fashionable sorts of bundled winterwear that we see on peasants in wintry scenes, but that's quite different from what you're looking for, I think.

        Karen Larsdatter
        www.larsdatter.com
      • The Dark Lady
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 24, 2010
          I have evidence of that sort of hoodless cape for Pictish men. It is striped, about elbow length, and may be of fur, but since the evidence is on a carved stone, the material is largely conjecture. For the relevant image, see the upper right of page 6 of my handout The Well Dressed Pict, available at: http://eithni.com/referencedesk/TheWell-DressedPict.pdf

          ~Eithni

          When he has obtained those things which are necessary to life, there is another alternative than to obtain the superfluities; and that is, to adventure on life now, his vacation from humbler toil having commenced. ---Thoreau
        • Kendra Deveraux
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 24, 2010
            The german look is exactly what I'm going for. It seems like it should be a
            logical garment but that's from the 21st century.

            Thank you to everyone who has given me input!

            Kendra

          • Quokkaqueen
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 24, 2010
              <<snip>>
              All these shawls seem to be roughly 1m x 2.5 m.
              <<snip>>

              Slip of the fingers, that should be 1x1.5 m, not 2.5.

              Sorry,
              ~Asfridhr, needs to learn to proofread better.