Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Questions about Mantles/Hoods/Short Cloaks

  • Catherine Olanich Raymond
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 23 7:06 PM
      On 09/23/2010 05:48 PM, Quokkaqueen wrote:
      > Isn't a short cloak a cape?

      Yes, if the cloak is shaped. A short rectangular cloak, if not wrapped
      around the body and held in front (in which case it's a shawl) is not a
      cape, I don't think.

      --
      Cathy Raymond
      cathy@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 23 8:16 PM
        Thank you for the early period information (and yep I was asking female
        dress, I just had a moment and forgot to include it.)

        Thanks
        Kendra
      • Karen_Larsdatter
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 24 8:01 AM
          Kendra Dey wrote:

          > I love the idea of hoods (however you call them) but I'm having
          > difficultly finding period documentation on a particular
          > style/general style at least for my general interests of Viking
          > and 14th century English.
          >
          > The ones I love functionally are basically short cloaks (waist
          > length in general) with no hood. I was wanting to make one out of
          > fur for winter events and wanted some additional input.

          I haven't found that particular style in either a Viking or a 14th century English context. As has been noted earlier, what you're describing resembles a 16th century German overgarment known as a "gollar" -- see http://research.fibergeek.com/category/garbclothing/16th-century-german/page/5/ for examples.

          I will say that I've seen a related sort of garment in very the very late 14th century; it appears to be a hood, but the women are wearing them with the hood pulled down.
          http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/ConsulterElementNum?O=IFN-08100553&E=JPEG&Deb=56&Fin=56&Param=C
          http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/ConsulterElementNum?O=IFN-08100553&E=JPEG&Deb=59&Fin=59&Param=C
          They are from from a Tacuinum Sanitatis produced c. 1390-1400 in Pavia or Milan.

          If you're looking for historically accurate 14th century English outerwear, I'd suggest checking out the women's hoods at http://larsdatter.com/hoods.htm or possibly the mantles at http://larsdatter.com/cloaks.htm -- I don't have a linkspage (yet -- hmm, maybe soon!) for some of the less fashionable sorts of bundled winterwear that we see on peasants in wintry scenes, but that's quite different from what you're looking for, I think.

          Karen Larsdatter
          www.larsdatter.com
        • The Dark Lady
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 24 2:08 PM
            I have evidence of that sort of hoodless cape for Pictish men. It is striped, about elbow length, and may be of fur, but since the evidence is on a carved stone, the material is largely conjecture. For the relevant image, see the upper right of page 6 of my handout The Well Dressed Pict, available at: http://eithni.com/referencedesk/TheWell-DressedPict.pdf

            ~Eithni

            When he has obtained those things which are necessary to life, there is another alternative than to obtain the superfluities; and that is, to adventure on life now, his vacation from humbler toil having commenced. ---Thoreau
          • Kendra Deveraux
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 24 2:22 PM
              The german look is exactly what I'm going for. It seems like it should be a
              logical garment but that's from the 21st century.

              Thank you to everyone who has given me input!

              Kendra

            • Quokkaqueen
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 24 4:23 PM
                <<snip>>
                All these shawls seem to be roughly 1m x 2.5 m.
                <<snip>>

                Slip of the fingers, that should be 1x1.5 m, not 2.5.

                Sorry,
                ~Asfridhr, needs to learn to proofread better.