Re: Split-finger mittens

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2010
      Oda asked:

      > Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find good
      > documentation for woven, fulled mittens?

      None of the mittens I've found at http://larsdatter.com/gloves.htm are fulled
      and woven (though there is at least one that's knit), "split" style or
      otherwise. There are a few images of the split mittens showing them in colors
      -- see the Luttrell Psalter images -- which could, in theory, have been fabric
      of some sort.

      Karen Larsdatter
      http://larsdatter.com
    • Quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2010
        Oops! I forgot another find.
        There are remains of red wool fabric that have been identified as mittens from 14th century Uvdal, Norway.
        I've only seen second-hand references to it though, like here:
        http://web.comhem.se/~u41200125/Uvdal31.html

        The published reference for it is:
        Vedeler, Marianne. 2007. "Klaer og formspråk i norsk middelalder" (Oslo: University of Oslo) ISBN: 9788274772977.

        Sorry,
        ~Asfridhr, the forgetful.