Re: Split-finger mittens

  • Quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2010
      <<snip>>
      Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find good documentation for woven, fulled mittens?
      <<snip>>

      You didn't specify a time period, but there are three Viking Age mittens from Iceland made from wool. (One of them is mentioned in Hald, but hidden in the naalbinding chapter.)
      Two form a pair of child's mittens, apparently they were connected with a string. While the third (mentioned in Hald) is an adult mitten that were darned with pieces of wool to make a fake fur on the inside for extra warmth.
      See: http://medieval-baltic.us/vikmitten.html
      There is a bibliography at the bottom of the webpage, but it is rather short, sorry. When I wrote to the National Museum of Iceland, they said there has been very little published about them.

      ~Asfridhr
    • Karen
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2010
        Oda asked:

        > Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find good
        > documentation for woven, fulled mittens?

        None of the mittens I've found at http://larsdatter.com/gloves.htm are fulled
        and woven (though there is at least one that's knit), "split" style or
        otherwise. There are a few images of the split mittens showing them in colors
        -- see the Luttrell Psalter images -- which could, in theory, have been fabric
        of some sort.

        Karen Larsdatter
        http://larsdatter.com
      • Quokkaqueen
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 28, 2010
          Oops! I forgot another find.
          There are remains of red wool fabric that have been identified as mittens from 14th century Uvdal, Norway.
          I've only seen second-hand references to it though, like here:
          http://web.comhem.se/~u41200125/Uvdal31.html

          The published reference for it is:
          Vedeler, Marianne. 2007. "Klaer og formspråk i norsk middelalder" (Oslo: University of Oslo) ISBN: 9788274772977.

          Sorry,
          ~Asfridhr, the forgetful.