Split-finger mittens

  • Heidi G. Haywood
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 27, 2010
      I've been working on a weaving project, and due to a serious of unfortunate miscalculations, the fabric is no longer suitable for the project I had intended. It got overly fulled and in talking to some people in my local group, we thought it would make fabulous mittens. I would like to make split-finger mittens but have only seen these used in artwork for work type gloves and hawking gloves, suggesting that they would have been make from leather. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find good documentation for woven, fulled mittens? I've found extant mittens done in naalbinding, and a mention of one in Hald's book that look like felt, but that's all.

      Thank you for the help!

      -Oda

    • Quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2010
        <<snip>>
        Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find good documentation for woven, fulled mittens?
        <<snip>>

        You didn't specify a time period, but there are three Viking Age mittens from Iceland made from wool. (One of them is mentioned in Hald, but hidden in the naalbinding chapter.)
        Two form a pair of child's mittens, apparently they were connected with a string. While the third (mentioned in Hald) is an adult mitten that were darned with pieces of wool to make a fake fur on the inside for extra warmth.
        See: http://medieval-baltic.us/vikmitten.html
        There is a bibliography at the bottom of the webpage, but it is rather short, sorry. When I wrote to the National Museum of Iceland, they said there has been very little published about them.

        ~Asfridhr
      • Karen
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 28, 2010
          Oda asked:

          > Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find good
          > documentation for woven, fulled mittens?

          None of the mittens I've found at http://larsdatter.com/gloves.htm are fulled
          and woven (though there is at least one that's knit), "split" style or
          otherwise. There are a few images of the split mittens showing them in colors
          -- see the Luttrell Psalter images -- which could, in theory, have been fabric
          of some sort.

          Karen Larsdatter
          http://larsdatter.com
        • Quokkaqueen
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 28, 2010
            Oops! I forgot another find.
            There are remains of red wool fabric that have been identified as mittens from 14th century Uvdal, Norway.
            I've only seen second-hand references to it though, like here:
            http://web.comhem.se/~u41200125/Uvdal31.html

            The published reference for it is:
            Vedeler, Marianne. 2007. "Klaer og formspråk i norsk middelalder" (Oslo: University of Oslo) ISBN: 9788274772977.

            Sorry,
            ~Asfridhr, the forgetful.