Re: [Authentic_SCA] Favours for a Fencer

  • Schrecht
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 21, 2010
      > My lord has recently asked me for a favour that he can carry when
      > fencing. It didn't occur to me before but I'm trying to think of
      > something at least somewhat period appropriate to give him as a
      > favour. I have somewhat limited embroidery skills (so far my only
      > successful attempts have been counted blackwork) almost all of my SCA
      > efforts tend towards garb making.
      >
      > So has anybody got evidence would be a period appropriate favour
      > (ignoring debates about whether a man would carry a favour in the SCA
      > sense, especially when fencing) for a 16th century persona that I can
      > make using my fabric related skills.

      Excellent question, and congratulations for choosing to avoid the tea towel. In
      addition to the glove, sleeve, and handkerchief already mentioned, Elizabethans
      wore a lot of rings, and gave them as tokens of friendship and more. Rings
      didn't even have to fit: men sometimes wore a lady's ring on a ribbon, or pinned
      to a sleeve. There are several portraits of men in Elizabeth's court wearing
      them - Sir Henry Lee is one.

      And something I haven't seen used as a specific mark of favor in period, but
      which works quite well, is garters. They were near-ubiquitous in period, but
      are often omitted in our game. Make them up with a nice pair of reproduction
      silver buckles, and even without the tea-towel-style embroidery, you've given
      him something special and improved his kit.

      Regards,
      Jost