Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Summer Garb

  • Sayyeda Samia al-Kaslaania
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 23 3:50 PM
      On 7/23/2010 10:25 AM, Zhara wrote:
      > Question: does anyone know of any particular significance to the way leering-guy is wearing his stole/scarf? There is some evidence of symbolism in the way clothing is worn in period illustrations (loosened/disheveled turbans are a sign of mourning, floppy sleeves a sign of reckless abandon, etc...)
      >
      > Is a wearing one's scarf in a twisty-wrap a sign of lust?
      >
      > Just Curious,
      > Z.

      Sayyeda Zahra,

      The way it's worn is reminiscent of the way some wraps are worn in the
      Maqamat al-Hariri, and further described by Yedida Stillman in her
      dissertation. I wonder if it's a kind of vestigial garment?

      Sayyeda al-Kaslaania
    • gianottadallafiora
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 29 6:55 PM
        Totally OOP, but in a class about Turkish bellydance being taught by Artemis Mourat, we were watching some video she had taped from Turkish television, of a dancer in a tiny, tiny top; almost non-existent cups and very thin straps around the body and shoulders. You could see the musician directly behind her had this look on his face like "Please, please G-d, may that bra strap break!" which intensified every time she bent forward. It was hilarious.

        Adelisa de Salernum
      • George A. Trosper
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 30 1:18 PM
          gianottadallafiora wrote:
          > Totally OOP, but in a class about Turkish bellydance being taught by Artemis Mourat, we were watching some video she had taped from Turkish television, of a dancer in a tiny, tiny top; almost non-existent cups and very thin straps around the body and shoulders. You could see the musician directly behind her had this look on his face like "Please, please G-d, may that bra strap break!" which intensified every time she bent forward. It was hilarious.
          >
          > Adelisa de Salernum
          Research has shown (I remember reading) that what str8 guys most
          appreciate in minimal women's wear is not exactly how minimal it is, but
          how likely full disclosure appears.