Re: [Authentic_SCA] dealing with fugitive dyes and dye-setting

  • Kathy Keeler
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 14, 2010
      Proper mordanting and after-dyeing treatments were certainly used, but
      medieval dyes still almost all faded more than we are accustomed to.
      I imagine they didn't think much about it, as we accept the fading of
      blue jeans.

      "Refreshing"--redyeing-- the cloth was common.

      And they treated their textiles much more gently than we treat ours.
      Clothing was washed sparingly and carefully stored.
      Mistress Flavia's dye samples are still bright after more than a
      decade, but I've kept them on the bookshelf--they hang out in front of
      the booklet--and not washed them. I have a box of wools I dyed that
      seem quite bright after 2 to many years, but again, they're washed
      infrequently and gently and kept out of the sun.

      People with expensive dyed clothes probably did not wear them outside
      in full sunlight, or if so, considered which colors to expose to the
      sun. Or could afford to throw them away.

      Late Period or post-Period dyers' handbooks may reveal some methods of
      setting colors, but a lot of dye technology was of great commercial
      value and so kept secret by the guilds.

      As others said, different times and places had different methods,
      resources and fibers.

      Agnes
      Unser Hafen, Outlands

      references I can lay my hands on quickly:
      section on caring for clothes and furs in Le Mesnagier de Paris
      (1393), Tania Bayard's edition & translation
      Mistress Flavia's dye booklets (Natural Dye Basics, and, A friendly
      guide to Period Dyes and Fibers)

      On Jul 13, 2010, at 8:13 AM, CLEY wrote:

      > Just curious: were there period methods of setting dyes to minimize
      > fading, and/or ways to retain color on what were otherwise fugitive
      > dyes?
      >
      > Arlys

    • Folo Watkins
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 14, 2010
        I received a note from Gale Owes-C rocker today saying that the
        upcoming paperback edition of _Dress in Anglo-Saxon England_ is no
        different from the hardcover second edition (which is becoming
        available at a reduced price from many dealers because the paperback
        is imminent). Then she added:

        >We are producing an
        >Encyclopaedia of Medieval Dress and Taxtiles of the British Isles c
        >450-1450 which will come out as a book and electronic edition,
        >published by BRill, scheduled for 2011.

        Hazel Uzzell--the long-suffering wife of the smell-impaired Ian, whom
        I mentioned earlier--noted this when I mentioned it on another list:

        I> have written a paper on dyeing during the period for this
        publication. It has just gone through its last peer and editorial revue.
        >There is a separate paper on woad, which I reviewed.
        >I'm looking forward to the publication next year....but I think it
        is going to be a bit pricey!

        A bit in the future to help right now, but something that some of you
        might want to look out for!

        Cheers, Folo
        www.micelfolcland.org