Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: dealing with fugitive dyes and dye-setting

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 13, 2010
      Again dealing with a more specific time and place than the SCA, but
      possibly of interest, I remembered a site that had the results of the
      Regia dye project, that includes the mordants used:
      http://regia.org/members/dyeproject.html

      Cheers, Folo
      www.micelfolcland.org
    • Diane Sawyer Dooley
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 13, 2010
        I think that's spelled "Plictho".

        Tasha

      • Amy Heilveil
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 13, 2010
          Thanks Tasha,
          I kept looking at it and was unable to see what was wrong. I greatly
          appreciate your correction on the spelling. I am purposely leaving the two
          other emails attached so that the meaning and proper spelling can be
          attached to the proper post.

          Smiles,
          Despina de la long day

          On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Diane Sawyer Dooley <
          tasha_medvedeva@...> wrote:

          > I think that's spelled "Plictho".
          >
          > Tasha
          >

          > >A book called "The Plitho" of Gioanventura Rosetti, which exists in first
          > >edition from 1548 is a good book to get you started.

        • Kathy Keeler
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 14, 2010
            Proper mordanting and after-dyeing treatments were certainly used, but
            medieval dyes still almost all faded more than we are accustomed to.
            I imagine they didn't think much about it, as we accept the fading of
            blue jeans.

            "Refreshing"--redyeing-- the cloth was common.

            And they treated their textiles much more gently than we treat ours.
            Clothing was washed sparingly and carefully stored.
            Mistress Flavia's dye samples are still bright after more than a
            decade, but I've kept them on the bookshelf--they hang out in front of
            the booklet--and not washed them. I have a box of wools I dyed that
            seem quite bright after 2 to many years, but again, they're washed
            infrequently and gently and kept out of the sun.

            People with expensive dyed clothes probably did not wear them outside
            in full sunlight, or if so, considered which colors to expose to the
            sun. Or could afford to throw them away.

            Late Period or post-Period dyers' handbooks may reveal some methods of
            setting colors, but a lot of dye technology was of great commercial
            value and so kept secret by the guilds.

            As others said, different times and places had different methods,
            resources and fibers.

            Agnes
            Unser Hafen, Outlands

            references I can lay my hands on quickly:
            section on caring for clothes and furs in Le Mesnagier de Paris
            (1393), Tania Bayard's edition & translation
            Mistress Flavia's dye booklets (Natural Dye Basics, and, A friendly
            guide to Period Dyes and Fibers)

            On Jul 13, 2010, at 8:13 AM, CLEY wrote:

            > Just curious: were there period methods of setting dyes to minimize
            > fading, and/or ways to retain color on what were otherwise fugitive
            > dyes?
            >
            > Arlys

          • Folo Watkins
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 14, 2010
              I received a note from Gale Owes-C rocker today saying that the
              upcoming paperback edition of _Dress in Anglo-Saxon England_ is no
              different from the hardcover second edition (which is becoming
              available at a reduced price from many dealers because the paperback
              is imminent). Then she added:

              >We are producing an
              >Encyclopaedia of Medieval Dress and Taxtiles of the British Isles c
              >450-1450 which will come out as a book and electronic edition,
              >published by BRill, scheduled for 2011.

              Hazel Uzzell--the long-suffering wife of the smell-impaired Ian, whom
              I mentioned earlier--noted this when I mentioned it on another list:

              I> have written a paper on dyeing during the period for this
              publication. It has just gone through its last peer and editorial revue.
              >There is a separate paper on woad, which I reviewed.
              >I'm looking forward to the publication next year....but I think it
              is going to be a bit pricey!

              A bit in the future to help right now, but something that some of you
              might want to look out for!

              Cheers, Folo
              www.micelfolcland.org