Re: [Authentic_SCA] dealing with fugitive dyes and dye-setting

  • Amy Heilveil
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 13 5:17 PM
      Arlys,

      A book called "The Plitho" of Gioanventura Rosetti, which exists in first
      edition from 1548 is a good book to get you started. As others have said,
      there are a lot of different things to use as mordants and what you would
      have used would depend on the dye, the fabric to be dyed, your time period,
      and your geographic placement. You should be able to find a copy of the
      "Plitho" fairly simply. My copy is a photocopy of the MIT version produced
      in 1969. If you have a specific color that you are looking to mordant,
      please let us know and I'm sure several people will give you possible
      solutions or look things up in books we have.

      Smiles,
      Despina de la likes giving book names as references for people to go
      find....

    • Folo Watkins
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 13 5:21 PM
        Again dealing with a more specific time and place than the SCA, but
        possibly of interest, I remembered a site that had the results of the
        Regia dye project, that includes the mordants used:
        http://regia.org/members/dyeproject.html

        Cheers, Folo
        www.micelfolcland.org
      • Diane Sawyer Dooley
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 13 5:33 PM
          I think that's spelled "Plictho".

          Tasha

          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 13 6:50 PM
            Thanks Tasha,
            I kept looking at it and was unable to see what was wrong. I greatly
            appreciate your correction on the spelling. I am purposely leaving the two
            other emails attached so that the meaning and proper spelling can be
            attached to the proper post.

            Smiles,
            Despina de la long day

            On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Diane Sawyer Dooley <
            tasha_medvedeva@...> wrote:

            > I think that's spelled "Plictho".
            >
            > Tasha
            >

            > >A book called "The Plitho" of Gioanventura Rosetti, which exists in first
            > >edition from 1548 is a good book to get you started.

          • Kathy Keeler
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 14 7:02 PM
              Proper mordanting and after-dyeing treatments were certainly used, but
              medieval dyes still almost all faded more than we are accustomed to.
              I imagine they didn't think much about it, as we accept the fading of
              blue jeans.

              "Refreshing"--redyeing-- the cloth was common.

              And they treated their textiles much more gently than we treat ours.
              Clothing was washed sparingly and carefully stored.
              Mistress Flavia's dye samples are still bright after more than a
              decade, but I've kept them on the bookshelf--they hang out in front of
              the booklet--and not washed them. I have a box of wools I dyed that
              seem quite bright after 2 to many years, but again, they're washed
              infrequently and gently and kept out of the sun.

              People with expensive dyed clothes probably did not wear them outside
              in full sunlight, or if so, considered which colors to expose to the
              sun. Or could afford to throw them away.

              Late Period or post-Period dyers' handbooks may reveal some methods of
              setting colors, but a lot of dye technology was of great commercial
              value and so kept secret by the guilds.

              As others said, different times and places had different methods,
              resources and fibers.

              Agnes
              Unser Hafen, Outlands

              references I can lay my hands on quickly:
              section on caring for clothes and furs in Le Mesnagier de Paris
              (1393), Tania Bayard's edition & translation
              Mistress Flavia's dye booklets (Natural Dye Basics, and, A friendly
              guide to Period Dyes and Fibers)

              On Jul 13, 2010, at 8:13 AM, CLEY wrote:

              > Just curious: were there period methods of setting dyes to minimize
              > fading, and/or ways to retain color on what were otherwise fugitive
              > dyes?
              >
              > Arlys

            • Folo Watkins
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 14 7:12 PM
                I received a note from Gale Owes-C rocker today saying that the
                upcoming paperback edition of _Dress in Anglo-Saxon England_ is no
                different from the hardcover second edition (which is becoming
                available at a reduced price from many dealers because the paperback
                is imminent). Then she added:

                >We are producing an
                >Encyclopaedia of Medieval Dress and Taxtiles of the British Isles c
                >450-1450 which will come out as a book and electronic edition,
                >published by BRill, scheduled for 2011.

                Hazel Uzzell--the long-suffering wife of the smell-impaired Ian, whom
                I mentioned earlier--noted this when I mentioned it on another list:

                I> have written a paper on dyeing during the period for this
                publication. It has just gone through its last peer and editorial revue.
                >There is a separate paper on woad, which I reviewed.
                >I'm looking forward to the publication next year....but I think it
                is going to be a bit pricey!

                A bit in the future to help right now, but something that some of you
                might want to look out for!

                Cheers, Folo
                www.micelfolcland.org