Re: [Authentic_SCA] Eels

  • Brad Moore
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
      I haven't submitted it yet, but am in the process of submitting a device with
      eels on it.

      Je Reste,
      En Service au Reve,
      Nicolas L'Anguille

    • Matthew Takeda
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
        At 06:39 AM 05-07-10, Doccia mka Amy wrote:
        >Finally, I'm looking for any references to the use of eel skin
        >leather in the period. From what I understand it is a very fine and
        >useful material in this age, but I don't know if eel leather was put
        >to any purpose in the middle ages. I really hope eel skin was used,
        >as if I have the eels already it should be short work to cure or tan
        >the skins and make something lovely. I could use a good pair of shoes.

        Sadly for your plans, eelskin leather does not come from eels. It
        comes from the Pacific Hagfish, a jawless fish which is also known as
        the slime eel. The Pacific Hagfish lives in the mesopelagic to
        abyssal Pacific ocean, near the ocean floor, so it is unlikely that
        it was known in Europe in period.

        Matthew Takeda
        the JOAT
      • asackville@juno.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
          Wow! I never knew that! Thanks for adding to my knowledge base. Not fond of eating eels, but appreciate them for the historical refrerrance. It's really valuable. That's why I ove this forumn so much. Wicked cool info.

          Fionnaula

          Don't Risk It!
          Learn how you can pay as little as $12 a month for auto insurance.
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4c32ddf3278f11a8a0dst02duc
        • Kender
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
            I just read this cookbook which has some recipes (redacted, with original sources listed) for eel.

            The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy
            by Odile Redon, Francoise Sabban and Silvano Serventi, translated by Edward Schneider
            ISBN-13: 978-0226706856
            I think it is very reasonably priced on Amazon.

            The book says that eel was highly valued, and the original recipes suggest other types of fish to use if eel is unavailable.

            I have only had eel in sushi so I'm interested in trying some of these!
            -Kunigunde
          • Despair Bear
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
              Mmmmmm........ Eel....... I know nothing other than they taste very very good.
              Luck to you and if you ever need a taster/tester I will be ready with knife fork
              and napkin.

              Godric