Re: Eels

  • Madame du Pont
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "doccia_vacha" <amyt@...> wrote:

      > I've decided I'd like to become the SCA's foremost authority on eels and I'm looking for resources. If you have a book in your library or have a website bookmarked that in any way mentions eels I would be grateful if you could reference it here. ..............

      > Regards,
      > Doccia mka Amy

      Bonjour Doccia,

      I cannot help much in documentation, but last year at Summer Hunt V (on Whidbey Island, WA, I went to the Hunt Guild persona development presentations. One lady was Welsh (cannot remember the century), but she made a replica (scaled down) of a woven eel trap. It was elongated and about 3 feet...they are normally 9 ft long and catch eel and any thing going up stream. It was very interesting. Eel was very common catch.

      Adieu,
      Madame du Pont
      Shire de Tymberhavene
      Kingdom d'An Tir
    • Brad Moore
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
        I haven't submitted it yet, but am in the process of submitting a device with
        eels on it.

        Je Reste,
        En Service au Reve,
        Nicolas L'Anguille

      • Matthew Takeda
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
          At 06:39 AM 05-07-10, Doccia mka Amy wrote:
          >Finally, I'm looking for any references to the use of eel skin
          >leather in the period. From what I understand it is a very fine and
          >useful material in this age, but I don't know if eel leather was put
          >to any purpose in the middle ages. I really hope eel skin was used,
          >as if I have the eels already it should be short work to cure or tan
          >the skins and make something lovely. I could use a good pair of shoes.

          Sadly for your plans, eelskin leather does not come from eels. It
          comes from the Pacific Hagfish, a jawless fish which is also known as
          the slime eel. The Pacific Hagfish lives in the mesopelagic to
          abyssal Pacific ocean, near the ocean floor, so it is unlikely that
          it was known in Europe in period.

          Matthew Takeda
          the JOAT
        • asackville@juno.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
            Wow! I never knew that! Thanks for adding to my knowledge base. Not fond of eating eels, but appreciate them for the historical refrerrance. It's really valuable. That's why I ove this forumn so much. Wicked cool info.

            Fionnaula

            Don't Risk It!
            Learn how you can pay as little as $12 a month for auto insurance.
            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4c32ddf3278f11a8a0dst02duc
          • Kender
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
              I just read this cookbook which has some recipes (redacted, with original sources listed) for eel.

              The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy
              by Odile Redon, Francoise Sabban and Silvano Serventi, translated by Edward Schneider
              ISBN-13: 978-0226706856
              I think it is very reasonably priced on Amazon.

              The book says that eel was highly valued, and the original recipes suggest other types of fish to use if eel is unavailable.

              I have only had eel in sushi so I'm interested in trying some of these!
              -Kunigunde
            • Despair Bear
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
                Mmmmmm........ Eel....... I know nothing other than they taste very very good.
                Luck to you and if you ever need a taster/tester I will be ready with knife fork
                and napkin.

                Godric

                ________________________________
                I've decided I'd like to become the SCA's foremost authority on eels and I'm
                looking for resources. If you have a book in your library or have a website
                bookmarked that in any way mentions eels I would be grateful if you could
                reference it here.

                I'm hoping to have an opportunity in the winter or spring to catch/fish/trap
                eels. I'm looking for artistic depictions or descriptions of catching eels in
                traps or with spears. So far I know of a few depictions of traps, but I do not
                know when eel spears came into use.

                I've located a few recipes for eel, so if I can catch a few I'll definitely be
                attempting and documenting a number of dishes.