Re: [Authentic_SCA] Eels

  • Michael Hurley
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
      On Jul 4, 2010, at 3:55 PM, doccia_vacha wrote:
      > I've decided I'd like to become the SCA's foremost authority on eels
      > and I'm looking for resources. If you have a book in your library or
      > have a website bookmarked that in any way mentions eels I would be
      > grateful if you could reference it here.

      I don't have any information bookmarked, per se, but I do remember
      when my wife and I were on honeymoon early last year and visited
      Warwick Castle that the Mill House had eel traps around it's water
      wheel. The first mill house was built in the 14th century to grind the
      castle's grain. It was added onto in the 17th and 19th centuries,
      ultimately turning it into a water-powered generator room to electrify
      the castle. I'm afraid I don't remember when the eel traps were built
      (if they said at all), but considering the importance of eel to the
      English diet from ancient times, it's likely they were part of the
      original, medieval mill house. You might be able to find some useful
      information looking around for Warwick Castle.
      --
      Yours in Service,

      Owein ap Cai, Grey Niche, Gleann Abhann
    • Mary Llewellyn
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
        On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 7:54 AM, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:

        > On Jul 4, 2010, at 3:55 PM, doccia_vacha wrote:
        > > I've decided I'd like to become the SCA's foremost authority on eels
        > > and I'm looking for resources. If you have a book in your library or
        > > have a website bookmarked that in any way mentions eels I would be
        > > grateful if you could reference it here.

        Here's Wikimedia's site on "Eels in Heraldry":
        http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Eels_in_heraldry

        An eel is a secondary charge on one of the devices of the Orsini:
        http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Coats_of_arms_of_the_House_of_Orsini

        (Oddly, nobody in the SCA seems to have registered an eel as a charge
        -- now's your chance! :-) )

        Yours in service, good humor, and sincere admiration (I love this kind
        of abstrusity!),
        Adelicia di Rienzi
        Lyondemere, Caid
      • Mary Llewellyn
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
          >> On Jul 4, 2010, at 3:55 PM, doccia_vacha wrote:
          >> > I've decided I'd like to become the SCA's foremost authority on eels
          >> > and I'm looking for resources. If you have a book in your library or
          >> > have a website bookmarked that in any way mentions eels I would be
          >> > grateful if you could reference it here.

          Here's what Pliny has to say about eels:

          http://books.google.com/books?id=v4BiAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA409&lpg=PA409&dq=pliny+eel&source=bl&ots=BwC0d8NHZv&sig=EOCb24mgaH_LPx7T8fW37KAlTD0&hl=en&ei=zmgyTIejDYnfnQervpT7Aw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA

          (If this link doesn't work, do a Google search for "Pliny eels")

          Here's a partial quotation:

          "Eels live eight years; they are able to survive out of water as much
          as six days, when a north-east wind blows; but when the south wind
          prevails, not so many. In winter, they cannot live if they are in
          very shallow water, nor yet if the water is troubled. ... These
          animals seek their food at night; they are the only fish the bodies of
          which, when dead, do not float upon the surface."

          I didn't transcribe the footnotes, but they're worth looking at.

          Yours in service and love of research,
          Adelicia di Rienzi
          Lyondemere, Caid
        • Madame du Pont
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "doccia_vacha" <amyt@...> wrote:

            > I've decided I'd like to become the SCA's foremost authority on eels and I'm looking for resources. If you have a book in your library or have a website bookmarked that in any way mentions eels I would be grateful if you could reference it here. ..............

            > Regards,
            > Doccia mka Amy

            Bonjour Doccia,

            I cannot help much in documentation, but last year at Summer Hunt V (on Whidbey Island, WA, I went to the Hunt Guild persona development presentations. One lady was Welsh (cannot remember the century), but she made a replica (scaled down) of a woven eel trap. It was elongated and about 3 feet...they are normally 9 ft long and catch eel and any thing going up stream. It was very interesting. Eel was very common catch.

            Adieu,
            Madame du Pont
            Shire de Tymberhavene
            Kingdom d'An Tir
          • Brad Moore
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
              I haven't submitted it yet, but am in the process of submitting a device with
              eels on it.

              Je Reste,
              En Service au Reve,
              Nicolas L'Anguille

            • Matthew Takeda
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
                At 06:39 AM 05-07-10, Doccia mka Amy wrote:
                >Finally, I'm looking for any references to the use of eel skin
                >leather in the period. From what I understand it is a very fine and
                >useful material in this age, but I don't know if eel leather was put
                >to any purpose in the middle ages. I really hope eel skin was used,
                >as if I have the eels already it should be short work to cure or tan
                >the skins and make something lovely. I could use a good pair of shoes.

                Sadly for your plans, eelskin leather does not come from eels. It
                comes from the Pacific Hagfish, a jawless fish which is also known as
                the slime eel. The Pacific Hagfish lives in the mesopelagic to
                abyssal Pacific ocean, near the ocean floor, so it is unlikely that
                it was known in Europe in period.

                Matthew Takeda
                the JOAT
              • asackville@juno.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
                  Wow! I never knew that! Thanks for adding to my knowledge base. Not fond of eating eels, but appreciate them for the historical refrerrance. It's really valuable. That's why I ove this forumn so much. Wicked cool info.

                  Fionnaula

                  Don't Risk It!
                  Learn how you can pay as little as $12 a month for auto insurance.
                  http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4c32ddf3278f11a8a0dst02duc
                • Kender
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
                    I just read this cookbook which has some recipes (redacted, with original sources listed) for eel.

                    The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy
                    by Odile Redon, Francoise Sabban and Silvano Serventi, translated by Edward Schneider
                    ISBN-13: 978-0226706856
                    I think it is very reasonably priced on Amazon.

                    The book says that eel was highly valued, and the original recipes suggest other types of fish to use if eel is unavailable.

                    I have only had eel in sushi so I'm interested in trying some of these!
                    -Kunigunde
                  • Despair Bear
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
                      Mmmmmm........ Eel....... I know nothing other than they taste very very good.
                      Luck to you and if you ever need a taster/tester I will be ready with knife fork
                      and napkin.

                      Godric

                      ________________________________
                      I've decided I'd like to become the SCA's foremost authority on eels and I'm
                      looking for resources. If you have a book in your library or have a website
                      bookmarked that in any way mentions eels I would be grateful if you could
                      reference it here.

                      I'm hoping to have an opportunity in the winter or spring to catch/fish/trap
                      eels. I'm looking for artistic depictions or descriptions of catching eels in
                      traps or with spears. So far I know of a few depictions of traps, but I do not
                      know when eel spears came into use.

                      I've located a few recipes for eel, so if I can catch a few I'll definitely be
                      attempting and documenting a number of dishes.