Re: [Authentic_SCA] Interesting news for Shoe-makers

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2010
      >A 5,500 year old shoe has been discovered in a fantastic state of
      >preservation.
      >
      >Article from the BBC website:
      >
      ><http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10281908.stm>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10281908.stm

      I gave links to an NPR site on FB yesterday:
      http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127627752&sc=fb&cc=fp
      It has an illo that gives a closer look at the stitching. Christie
      Ward pointed it out.

      Cheers, Folo
      www.micelfolcland.org
    • porcelenhanc
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2010
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Folo Watkins <folo@...> wrote:

        > >A 5,500 year old shoe has been discovered in a fantastic state of
        > >preservation.
        > >
        > >Article from the BBC website:
        > >
        > ><http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10281908.stm>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10281908.stm
        >
        > I gave links to an NPR site on FB yesterday:
        > http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127627752&sc=fb&cc=fp
        > It has an illo that gives a closer look at the stitching. Christie
        > Ward pointed it out.
        >
        > Cheers, Folo
        > www.micelfolcland.org

        After reading these articles I thought that the grass stuffed inside the shoe could also have been used for cushioning or perhaps even a sort of arch support. Walking on rocks without something to cushion one's feet could be painful.

        Darcellena
      • Chris Laning
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2010
          On Jun 10, 2010, at 10:20 AM, porcelenhanc wrote:

          >> I gave links to an NPR site on FB yesterday:
          >> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127627752&sc=fb&cc=fp
          >> It has an illo that gives a closer look at the stitching. Christie
          >> Ward pointed it out.
          >>
          >> Cheers, Folo
          >> www.micelfolcland.org
          >>

          > After reading these articles I thought that the grass stuffed inside
          > the shoe could also have been used for cushioning or perhaps even a
          > sort of arch support. Walking on rocks without something to cushion
          > one's feet could be painful.

          I would love to hear from anyone (e-mail me off list, please) who is
          motivated to make a replica of this shoe -- or the Ötzi shoe -- and
          its grass stuffing, and donate it to a museum exhibit.