Interesting news for Shoe-makers

  • Melisende Fitzwalter
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2010
      A 5,500 year old shoe has been discovered in a fantastic state of preservation.

      Article from the BBC website:

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10281908.stm

      Yours,
      Melisende

    • Folo Watkins
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2010
        >A 5,500 year old shoe has been discovered in a fantastic state of
        >preservation.
        >
        >Article from the BBC website:
        >
        ><http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10281908.stm>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10281908.stm

        I gave links to an NPR site on FB yesterday:
        http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127627752&sc=fb&cc=fp
        It has an illo that gives a closer look at the stitching. Christie
        Ward pointed it out.

        Cheers, Folo
        www.micelfolcland.org
      • porcelenhanc
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2010
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Folo Watkins <folo@...> wrote:

          > >A 5,500 year old shoe has been discovered in a fantastic state of
          > >preservation.
          > >
          > >Article from the BBC website:
          > >
          > ><http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10281908.stm>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10281908.stm
          >
          > I gave links to an NPR site on FB yesterday:
          > http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127627752&sc=fb&cc=fp
          > It has an illo that gives a closer look at the stitching. Christie
          > Ward pointed it out.
          >
          > Cheers, Folo
          > www.micelfolcland.org

          After reading these articles I thought that the grass stuffed inside the shoe could also have been used for cushioning or perhaps even a sort of arch support. Walking on rocks without something to cushion one's feet could be painful.

          Darcellena
        • Chris Laning
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 10, 2010
            On Jun 10, 2010, at 10:20 AM, porcelenhanc wrote:

            >> I gave links to an NPR site on FB yesterday:
            >> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127627752&sc=fb&cc=fp
            >> It has an illo that gives a closer look at the stitching. Christie
            >> Ward pointed it out.
            >>
            >> Cheers, Folo
            >> www.micelfolcland.org
            >>

            > After reading these articles I thought that the grass stuffed inside
            > the shoe could also have been used for cushioning or perhaps even a
            > sort of arch support. Walking on rocks without something to cushion
            > one's feet could be painful.

            I would love to hear from anyone (e-mail me off list, please) who is
            motivated to make a replica of this shoe -- or the Ötzi shoe -- and
            its grass stuffing, and donate it to a museum exhibit.