Re: Gravitation (WAS Re: [Authentic_SCA] Authentic SCA groups in Mid-Atlantic States)

  • Antonia Calvo
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
      CLEY wrote:
      >> Just remember the line from 13th warrior when you have too many
      >> heralds. Silk Suited messengers, always brings a smile to my face
      >> especially when trying to get something registered or at 8am at a
      >> event. Im trying to design a herald trap for my households encampment.
      >> Something that will keep them from waking us up at oh my god 30.
      >>

      > Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
      > of the event?

      Oo, I know, I know! Constructive suggestions made before the next event!

      > Back in the day when I still was able to camp, I also found that
      > offering a voice herald a hot beverage at o-dark-thirty was also very
      > much appreciated.

      We actually radically reduced the amount of voice heraldry at camping
      events. We used to have most scheduled activities announced by
      heralds. There were some real problems with this-- it was hard to get
      enough heralds to do all those announcements, and people tended to
      switch off their brains-- resulting in a slightly shambling schedule and
      complaints from people who didn't get to the activity they wanted
      because the herald "missed" them (or they just weren't paying attention).

      Now now have pocket-sized printed timetables and a bell chimes the hours
      from 8:00am to 8:00pm. Heralds announce Court, any changes to the
      schedule and make any announcements requested, but do *not* announce
      anything that's happening as printed. Combined with an expectation that
      activities will start and finish on time, this has made events run less
      stressfully and more smoothly.

      --
      Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

      -----------------------------
      Habeo metrum - musicamque,
      hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
      -Georgeus Gershwinus
      -----------------------------
    • Scott
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
        In Caid I was familiar with both time-&-culture households and with cooking
        households; in Meridies/Gleann Abhann,

        I headed up a generic A&S household and was a member of another household
        that specialized in Comedia dell' Arte-

        a very time-&-culture-focused thespian art. Everyone in my personal
        household was either a Laurel or an apprentice

        and all entered A&S competitions at all levels: shire, barony, principality,
        kingdom. We offered various A&S classes

        in our home. I was only familiar with two other households: one for Vikings
        and one for SCA politics. I was too busy

        in Meridies/Gleann Abhann to notice what other households were doing.

        Colm Dubh
      • CLEY
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 10, 2010

          > Antonio wrote:
          > Now now have pocket-sized printed timetables and a bell chimes the hours
          > from 8:00am to 8:00pm. .......

          We actually do something very similar here--our Town Criers have
          scheduled announcement times, and remind people when the next one is, if
          they have anything that needs announcing around then.

          I live in An Tir's Herald Central, so a shortage of heralds here is very
          seldom an issue. However, here even a mid-size event can be very spread
          out/have very strange accoustics (lots of hills and rivers and valleys
          in the sites we use), and that's what we need to be careful about
          addressing. They do usually announce the printed schedule though.

          Arlys
        • Kender
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 11, 2010
            MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members who receive their list-mail in digest form, we request that you not top post. Please snip those parts of previous messages that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific time Zone Moderator.

            MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED:

            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "tuckahoe1607" <tom.apple@...> wrote:

            > (...)
            > I am acquainted with folks in Das Teufels Alpendrucken Fahnlein and also with Gardiners from my volunteer work at Jamestown Settlement.
            >
            > I'm looking more toward 14th c./Hundred Years War. I've contacted La Belle Compagnie and am looking into that group. I was about wondering groups of that period within the SCA.

            I'm a long-time member of Das Teufels Alpdruecken Fahnlein and of the SCA. Most of the group are not SCA members, but we used to do the occasional event with Kurriere des Todes. Unfortunately our webpage is out of date but feel free to email me with any questions.

            There's an extensive list of living history units on http://www.reenactor.net - also out of date. I wish I had more time to work on webpages.

            Coming to the most relevant portion of this post: A number of the members of Lord Grey's Retinue ( http://www.lordgreys.org/ ) are also very active in the SCA, and live in the DC/northern VA area (baronies of Storvik and Ponte Alto).

            -Kunigunde