RE: Gravitation (WAS Re: [Authentic_SCA] Authentic SCA groups in Mid-Atlantic States)

  • christopher chastain
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
      Sounds alot like the early days of Trimaris and my shire Castlemere, very heavy on the Celts and their decendants

      Yours in Humble Service,
      Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
      Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

      "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it!"
    • christopher chastain

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
          christopher chastain wrote:

          > Hey Captn,
          >
          > Just remember the line from 13th warrior when you have too many
          > heralds. Silk Suited messengers, always brings a smile to my face
          > especially when trying to get something registered or at 8am at a
          > event. Im trying to design a herald trap for my households encampment.
          > Something that will keep them from waking us up at oh my god 30.

          Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
          of the event?

          Back in the day when I still was able to camp, I also found that
          offering a voice herald a hot beverage at o-dark-thirty was also very
          much appreciated.

          Just remember that a good voice herald can be heard up to half a mile. A
          GREAT one can go a mile or further, and not even work up the teeniest of
          vocal chord strains! ;-)

          Arlys,
          Dragon's Mist (home of the Knowne World Heraldic and Scribal Symposium
          this weekend!)
          An Tir
        • Greg Lindahl
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
            On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 02:03:18PM -0700, CLEY wrote:

            > Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
            > of the event?

            Arlys,

            The whole gravitation subthread wasn't ever really on topic for this
            mailing list, and it's drifting even farther so.

            -- Gregory
          • Antonia Calvo
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
              CLEY wrote:
              >> Just remember the line from 13th warrior when you have too many
              >> heralds. Silk Suited messengers, always brings a smile to my face
              >> especially when trying to get something registered or at 8am at a
              >> event. Im trying to design a herald trap for my households encampment.
              >> Something that will keep them from waking us up at oh my god 30.
              >>

              > Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
              > of the event?

              Oo, I know, I know! Constructive suggestions made before the next event!

              > Back in the day when I still was able to camp, I also found that
              > offering a voice herald a hot beverage at o-dark-thirty was also very
              > much appreciated.

              We actually radically reduced the amount of voice heraldry at camping
              events. We used to have most scheduled activities announced by
              heralds. There were some real problems with this-- it was hard to get
              enough heralds to do all those announcements, and people tended to
              switch off their brains-- resulting in a slightly shambling schedule and
              complaints from people who didn't get to the activity they wanted
              because the herald "missed" them (or they just weren't paying attention).

              Now now have pocket-sized printed timetables and a bell chimes the hours
              from 8:00am to 8:00pm. Heralds announce Court, any changes to the
              schedule and make any announcements requested, but do *not* announce
              anything that's happening as printed. Combined with an expectation that
              activities will start and finish on time, this has made events run less
              stressfully and more smoothly.

              --
              Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

              -----------------------------
              Habeo metrum - musicamque,
              hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
              -Georgeus Gershwinus
              -----------------------------
            • Scott
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                In Caid I was familiar with both time-&-culture households and with cooking
                households; in Meridies/Gleann Abhann,

                I headed up a generic A&S household and was a member of another household
                that specialized in Comedia dell' Arte-

                a very time-&-culture-focused thespian art. Everyone in my personal
                household was either a Laurel or an apprentice

                and all entered A&S competitions at all levels: shire, barony, principality,
                kingdom. We offered various A&S classes

                in our home. I was only familiar with two other households: one for Vikings
                and one for SCA politics. I was too busy

                in Meridies/Gleann Abhann to notice what other households were doing.

                Colm Dubh
              • CLEY
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 10, 2010

                  > Antonio wrote:
                  > Now now have pocket-sized printed timetables and a bell chimes the hours
                  > from 8:00am to 8:00pm. .......

                  We actually do something very similar here--our Town Criers have
                  scheduled announcement times, and remind people when the next one is, if
                  they have anything that needs announcing around then.

                  I live in An Tir's Herald Central, so a shortage of heralds here is very
                  seldom an issue. However, here even a mid-size event can be very spread
                  out/have very strange accoustics (lots of hills and rivers and valleys
                  in the sites we use), and that's what we need to be careful about
                  addressing. They do usually announce the printed schedule though.

                  Arlys
                • Kender
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 11, 2010
                    MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members who receive their list-mail in digest form, we request that you not top post. Please snip those parts of previous messages that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific time Zone Moderator.

                    MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED:

                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "tuckahoe1607" <tom.apple@...> wrote:

                    > (...)
                    > I am acquainted with folks in Das Teufels Alpendrucken Fahnlein and also with Gardiners from my volunteer work at Jamestown Settlement.
                    >
                    > I'm looking more toward 14th c./Hundred Years War. I've contacted La Belle Compagnie and am looking into that group. I was about wondering groups of that period within the SCA.

                    I'm a long-time member of Das Teufels Alpdruecken Fahnlein and of the SCA. Most of the group are not SCA members, but we used to do the occasional event with Kurriere des Todes. Unfortunately our webpage is out of date but feel free to email me with any questions.

                    There's an extensive list of living history units on http://www.reenactor.net - also out of date. I wish I had more time to work on webpages.

                    Coming to the most relevant portion of this post: A number of the members of Lord Grey's Retinue ( http://www.lordgreys.org/ ) are also very active in the SCA, and live in the DC/northern VA area (baronies of Storvik and Ponte Alto).

                    -Kunigunde