Households (WAS Re: [Authentic_SCA] Authentic SCA groups in Mid-Atlantic States)

  • George A. Trosper
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
      Scott wrote:
      > To my mind the most valuable benefit that a household brings to the SCA is its customary focus on specific times and cultures, allowing a more in-depth exploration of that time and culture--a focus that is quite inappropriate for a territorial group--which must welcome equally all members from any covered times and cultures.
      >
      > Colm Dubh
      True about the territorial group. But some households are built around
      other kernels. Hadrian House in my Barony is a number of musicians and
      their not-necessarily-musical friends, allied for mutual benefit and
      support in attending revels with comfortable food and sometimes shelter.
      Hold Tyte is a family group (including in-laws) plus friends with
      interests in armoring and bardic circles.

      In your part of the world, do time-&-culture households predominate?

      --Gerard
    • christopher chastain
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
        Sounds alot like the early days of Trimaris and my shire Castlemere, very heavy on the Celts and their decendants

        Yours in Humble Service,
        Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
        Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

        "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it!"
      • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
          > In the early days of the Barony of Loch Salann, there were
          > unusually
          > strong numbers of Vikings, Japanese, and heralds.
          > --Gerard

          oh, no...
          Not heralds!
          there goes the neighborhood!

          Capt Elias

        • christopher chastain

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
              christopher chastain wrote:

              > Hey Captn,
              >
              > Just remember the line from 13th warrior when you have too many
              > heralds. Silk Suited messengers, always brings a smile to my face
              > especially when trying to get something registered or at 8am at a
              > event. Im trying to design a herald trap for my households encampment.
              > Something that will keep them from waking us up at oh my god 30.

              Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
              of the event?

              Back in the day when I still was able to camp, I also found that
              offering a voice herald a hot beverage at o-dark-thirty was also very
              much appreciated.

              Just remember that a good voice herald can be heard up to half a mile. A
              GREAT one can go a mile or further, and not even work up the teeniest of
              vocal chord strains! ;-)

              Arlys,
              Dragon's Mist (home of the Knowne World Heraldic and Scribal Symposium
              this weekend!)
              An Tir
            • Greg Lindahl
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 02:03:18PM -0700, CLEY wrote:

                > Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
                > of the event?

                Arlys,

                The whole gravitation subthread wasn't ever really on topic for this
                mailing list, and it's drifting even farther so.

                -- Gregory
              • Antonia Calvo
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                  CLEY wrote:
                  >> Just remember the line from 13th warrior when you have too many
                  >> heralds. Silk Suited messengers, always brings a smile to my face
                  >> especially when trying to get something registered or at 8am at a
                  >> event. Im trying to design a herald trap for my households encampment.
                  >> Something that will keep them from waking us up at oh my god 30.
                  >>

                  > Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
                  > of the event?

                  Oo, I know, I know! Constructive suggestions made before the next event!

                  > Back in the day when I still was able to camp, I also found that
                  > offering a voice herald a hot beverage at o-dark-thirty was also very
                  > much appreciated.

                  We actually radically reduced the amount of voice heraldry at camping
                  events. We used to have most scheduled activities announced by
                  heralds. There were some real problems with this-- it was hard to get
                  enough heralds to do all those announcements, and people tended to
                  switch off their brains-- resulting in a slightly shambling schedule and
                  complaints from people who didn't get to the activity they wanted
                  because the herald "missed" them (or they just weren't paying attention).

                  Now now have pocket-sized printed timetables and a bell chimes the hours
                  from 8:00am to 8:00pm. Heralds announce Court, any changes to the
                  schedule and make any announcements requested, but do *not* announce
                  anything that's happening as printed. Combined with an expectation that
                  activities will start and finish on time, this has made events run less
                  stressfully and more smoothly.

                  --
                  Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

                  -----------------------------
                  Habeo metrum - musicamque,
                  hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
                  -Georgeus Gershwinus
                  -----------------------------
                • Scott
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                    In Caid I was familiar with both time-&-culture households and with cooking
                    households; in Meridies/Gleann Abhann,

                    I headed up a generic A&S household and was a member of another household
                    that specialized in Comedia dell' Arte-

                    a very time-&-culture-focused thespian art. Everyone in my personal
                    household was either a Laurel or an apprentice

                    and all entered A&S competitions at all levels: shire, barony, principality,
                    kingdom. We offered various A&S classes

                    in our home. I was only familiar with two other households: one for Vikings
                    and one for SCA politics. I was too busy

                    in Meridies/Gleann Abhann to notice what other households were doing.

                    Colm Dubh
                  • CLEY
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 10, 2010

                      > Antonio wrote:
                      > Now now have pocket-sized printed timetables and a bell chimes the hours
                      > from 8:00am to 8:00pm. .......

                      We actually do something very similar here--our Town Criers have
                      scheduled announcement times, and remind people when the next one is, if
                      they have anything that needs announcing around then.

                      I live in An Tir's Herald Central, so a shortage of heralds here is very
                      seldom an issue. However, here even a mid-size event can be very spread
                      out/have very strange accoustics (lots of hills and rivers and valleys
                      in the sites we use), and that's what we need to be careful about
                      addressing. They do usually announce the printed schedule though.

                      Arlys
                    • Kender
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 11, 2010
                        MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members who receive their list-mail in digest form, we request that you not top post. Please snip those parts of previous messages that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific time Zone Moderator.

                        MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED:

                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "tuckahoe1607" <tom.apple@...> wrote:

                        > (...)
                        > I am acquainted with folks in Das Teufels Alpendrucken Fahnlein and also with Gardiners from my volunteer work at Jamestown Settlement.
                        >
                        > I'm looking more toward 14th c./Hundred Years War. I've contacted La Belle Compagnie and am looking into that group. I was about wondering groups of that period within the SCA.

                        I'm a long-time member of Das Teufels Alpdruecken Fahnlein and of the SCA. Most of the group are not SCA members, but we used to do the occasional event with Kurriere des Todes. Unfortunately our webpage is out of date but feel free to email me with any questions.

                        There's an extensive list of living history units on http://www.reenactor.net - also out of date. I wish I had more time to work on webpages.

                        Coming to the most relevant portion of this post: A number of the members of Lord Grey's Retinue ( http://www.lordgreys.org/ ) are also very active in the SCA, and live in the DC/northern VA area (baronies of Storvik and Ponte Alto).

                        -Kunigunde