RE: [Authentic_SCA] Authentic SCA groups in Mid -Atlantic States

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
      Had you quoted the message to which I replied, it would be clear that

      I was not arguing against something that wasn't said. If I stepped

      on someone's toes, so be it. Authenticity often does.

      Colm

      N. Scott Catledge, PhD/STD

      Professor Emeritus

      history & languages

      Colm Dubh
    • George A. Trosper
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
        Antonia Calvo wrote:
        > Territorial groups can gravitate all they like--it's just a
        > function of common interests.
        In the early days of the Barony of Loch Salann, there were unusually
        strong numbers of Vikings, Japanese, and heralds.
        --Gerard
      • George A. Trosper
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
          Scott wrote:
          > To my mind the most valuable benefit that a household brings to the SCA is its customary focus on specific times and cultures, allowing a more in-depth exploration of that time and culture--a focus that is quite inappropriate for a territorial group--which must welcome equally all members from any covered times and cultures.
          >
          > Colm Dubh
          True about the territorial group. But some households are built around
          other kernels. Hadrian House in my Barony is a number of musicians and
          their not-necessarily-musical friends, allied for mutual benefit and
          support in attending revels with comfortable food and sometimes shelter.
          Hold Tyte is a family group (including in-laws) plus friends with
          interests in armoring and bardic circles.

          In your part of the world, do time-&-culture households predominate?

          --Gerard
        • christopher chastain
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
            Sounds alot like the early days of Trimaris and my shire Castlemere, very heavy on the Celts and their decendants

            Yours in Humble Service,
            Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
            Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

            "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it!"
          • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
              > In the early days of the Barony of Loch Salann, there were
              > unusually
              > strong numbers of Vikings, Japanese, and heralds.
              > --Gerard

              oh, no...
              Not heralds!
              there goes the neighborhood!

              Capt Elias

            • christopher chastain

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                  christopher chastain wrote:

                  > Hey Captn,
                  >
                  > Just remember the line from 13th warrior when you have too many
                  > heralds. Silk Suited messengers, always brings a smile to my face
                  > especially when trying to get something registered or at 8am at a
                  > event. Im trying to design a herald trap for my households encampment.
                  > Something that will keep them from waking us up at oh my god 30.

                  Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
                  of the event?

                  Back in the day when I still was able to camp, I also found that
                  offering a voice herald a hot beverage at o-dark-thirty was also very
                  much appreciated.

                  Just remember that a good voice herald can be heard up to half a mile. A
                  GREAT one can go a mile or further, and not even work up the teeniest of
                  vocal chord strains! ;-)

                  Arlys,
                  Dragon's Mist (home of the Knowne World Heraldic and Scribal Symposium
                  this weekend!)
                  An Tir
                • Greg Lindahl
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                    On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 02:03:18PM -0700, CLEY wrote:

                    > Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
                    > of the event?

                    Arlys,

                    The whole gravitation subthread wasn't ever really on topic for this
                    mailing list, and it's drifting even farther so.

                    -- Gregory
                  • Antonia Calvo
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                      CLEY wrote:
                      >> Just remember the line from 13th warrior when you have too many
                      >> heralds. Silk Suited messengers, always brings a smile to my face
                      >> especially when trying to get something registered or at 8am at a
                      >> event. Im trying to design a herald trap for my households encampment.
                      >> Something that will keep them from waking us up at oh my god 30.
                      >>

                      > Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
                      > of the event?

                      Oo, I know, I know! Constructive suggestions made before the next event!

                      > Back in the day when I still was able to camp, I also found that
                      > offering a voice herald a hot beverage at o-dark-thirty was also very
                      > much appreciated.

                      We actually radically reduced the amount of voice heraldry at camping
                      events. We used to have most scheduled activities announced by
                      heralds. There were some real problems with this-- it was hard to get
                      enough heralds to do all those announcements, and people tended to
                      switch off their brains-- resulting in a slightly shambling schedule and
                      complaints from people who didn't get to the activity they wanted
                      because the herald "missed" them (or they just weren't paying attention).

                      Now now have pocket-sized printed timetables and a bell chimes the hours
                      from 8:00am to 8:00pm. Heralds announce Court, any changes to the
                      schedule and make any announcements requested, but do *not* announce
                      anything that's happening as printed. Combined with an expectation that
                      activities will start and finish on time, this has made events run less
                      stressfully and more smoothly.

                      --
                      Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

                      -----------------------------
                      Habeo metrum - musicamque,
                      hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
                      -Georgeus Gershwinus
                      -----------------------------
                    • Scott
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                        In Caid I was familiar with both time-&-culture households and with cooking
                        households; in Meridies/Gleann Abhann,

                        I headed up a generic A&S household and was a member of another household
                        that specialized in Comedia dell' Arte-

                        a very time-&-culture-focused thespian art. Everyone in my personal
                        household was either a Laurel or an apprentice

                        and all entered A&S competitions at all levels: shire, barony, principality,
                        kingdom. We offered various A&S classes

                        in our home. I was only familiar with two other households: one for Vikings
                        and one for SCA politics. I was too busy

                        in Meridies/Gleann Abhann to notice what other households were doing.

                        Colm Dubh
                      • CLEY
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 10, 2010

                          > Antonio wrote:
                          > Now now have pocket-sized printed timetables and a bell chimes the hours
                          > from 8:00am to 8:00pm. .......

                          We actually do something very similar here--our Town Criers have
                          scheduled announcement times, and remind people when the next one is, if
                          they have anything that needs announcing around then.

                          I live in An Tir's Herald Central, so a shortage of heralds here is very
                          seldom an issue. However, here even a mid-size event can be very spread
                          out/have very strange accoustics (lots of hills and rivers and valleys
                          in the sites we use), and that's what we need to be careful about
                          addressing. They do usually announce the printed schedule though.

                          Arlys
                        • Kender
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 11, 2010
                            MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members who receive their list-mail in digest form, we request that you not top post. Please snip those parts of previous messages that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific time Zone Moderator.

                            MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED:

                            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "tuckahoe1607" <tom.apple@...> wrote:

                            > (...)
                            > I am acquainted with folks in Das Teufels Alpendrucken Fahnlein and also with Gardiners from my volunteer work at Jamestown Settlement.
                            >
                            > I'm looking more toward 14th c./Hundred Years War. I've contacted La Belle Compagnie and am looking into that group. I was about wondering groups of that period within the SCA.

                            I'm a long-time member of Das Teufels Alpdruecken Fahnlein and of the SCA. Most of the group are not SCA members, but we used to do the occasional event with Kurriere des Todes. Unfortunately our webpage is out of date but feel free to email me with any questions.

                            There's an extensive list of living history units on http://www.reenactor.net - also out of date. I wish I had more time to work on webpages.

                            Coming to the most relevant portion of this post: A number of the members of Lord Grey's Retinue ( http://www.lordgreys.org/ ) are also very active in the SCA, and live in the DC/northern VA area (baronies of Storvik and Ponte Alto).

                            -Kunigunde