RE: [Authentic_SCA] Authentic SCA groups in Mid -Atlantic States

  • Jessica Ackerman
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 8, 2010
      Colm wrote:

      I am stating that a territorial group may not favor any one time period,
      culture, or geographical area over any others within our mission statement.

      I replied:

      Officially no, a territorial group cannot specifically focus on only one
      time period, culture or geographic area. But what does tend to happen is
      that people who live/work/play together have a tendency to dress alike, or
      at least similarly. "Oh hey, that X is really cool! Can you show me/us/the
      group how to make it?" And pretty soon, everyone has an X.

      The important point of this discussion is: *No one can be left out because
      they choose a time period/culture/geographical area that may not be typical
      for the territorial group.*

      Alexandra Vazquez de Granada

      (A late era Spaniard amongst early era Vikings in her local group)

    • Schrecht
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
        The moderators request all posts to this list be signed, please. Thank you, Despina de la moderator

        Colm Dubh wrote:

        > I am stating that a territorial group may not favor any one time period, culture, or
        > geographical area over any others within our mission statement

        Have you ever been to Calontir?
      • Scott
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
          Had you quoted the message to which I replied, it would be clear that

          I was not arguing against something that wasn't said. If I stepped

          on someone's toes, so be it. Authenticity often does.

          Colm

          N. Scott Catledge, PhD/STD

          Professor Emeritus

          history & languages

          Colm Dubh
        • George A. Trosper
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
            Antonia Calvo wrote:
            > Territorial groups can gravitate all they like--it's just a
            > function of common interests.
            In the early days of the Barony of Loch Salann, there were unusually
            strong numbers of Vikings, Japanese, and heralds.
            --Gerard
          • George A. Trosper
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
              Scott wrote:
              > To my mind the most valuable benefit that a household brings to the SCA is its customary focus on specific times and cultures, allowing a more in-depth exploration of that time and culture--a focus that is quite inappropriate for a territorial group--which must welcome equally all members from any covered times and cultures.
              >
              > Colm Dubh
              True about the territorial group. But some households are built around
              other kernels. Hadrian House in my Barony is a number of musicians and
              their not-necessarily-musical friends, allied for mutual benefit and
              support in attending revels with comfortable food and sometimes shelter.
              Hold Tyte is a family group (including in-laws) plus friends with
              interests in armoring and bardic circles.

              In your part of the world, do time-&-culture households predominate?

              --Gerard
            • christopher chastain
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                Sounds alot like the early days of Trimaris and my shire Castlemere, very heavy on the Celts and their decendants

                Yours in Humble Service,
                Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
                Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

                "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it!"
              • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                  > In the early days of the Barony of Loch Salann, there were
                  > unusually
                  > strong numbers of Vikings, Japanese, and heralds.
                  > --Gerard

                  oh, no...
                  Not heralds!
                  there goes the neighborhood!

                  Capt Elias

                • christopher chastain

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                      christopher chastain wrote:

                      > Hey Captn,
                      >
                      > Just remember the line from 13th warrior when you have too many
                      > heralds. Silk Suited messengers, always brings a smile to my face
                      > especially when trying to get something registered or at 8am at a
                      > event. Im trying to design a herald trap for my households encampment.
                      > Something that will keep them from waking us up at oh my god 30.

                      Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
                      of the event?

                      Back in the day when I still was able to camp, I also found that
                      offering a voice herald a hot beverage at o-dark-thirty was also very
                      much appreciated.

                      Just remember that a good voice herald can be heard up to half a mile. A
                      GREAT one can go a mile or further, and not even work up the teeniest of
                      vocal chord strains! ;-)

                      Arlys,
                      Dragon's Mist (home of the Knowne World Heraldic and Scribal Symposium
                      this weekend!)
                      An Tir
                    • Greg Lindahl
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                        On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 02:03:18PM -0700, CLEY wrote:

                        > Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
                        > of the event?

                        Arlys,

                        The whole gravitation subthread wasn't ever really on topic for this
                        mailing list, and it's drifting even farther so.

                        -- Gregory
                      • Antonia Calvo
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                          CLEY wrote:
                          >> Just remember the line from 13th warrior when you have too many
                          >> heralds. Silk Suited messengers, always brings a smile to my face
                          >> especially when trying to get something registered or at 8am at a
                          >> event. Im trying to design a herald trap for my households encampment.
                          >> Something that will keep them from waking us up at oh my god 30.
                          >>

                          > Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
                          > of the event?

                          Oo, I know, I know! Constructive suggestions made before the next event!

                          > Back in the day when I still was able to camp, I also found that
                          > offering a voice herald a hot beverage at o-dark-thirty was also very
                          > much appreciated.

                          We actually radically reduced the amount of voice heraldry at camping
                          events. We used to have most scheduled activities announced by
                          heralds. There were some real problems with this-- it was hard to get
                          enough heralds to do all those announcements, and people tended to
                          switch off their brains-- resulting in a slightly shambling schedule and
                          complaints from people who didn't get to the activity they wanted
                          because the herald "missed" them (or they just weren't paying attention).

                          Now now have pocket-sized printed timetables and a bell chimes the hours
                          from 8:00am to 8:00pm. Heralds announce Court, any changes to the
                          schedule and make any announcements requested, but do *not* announce
                          anything that's happening as printed. Combined with an expectation that
                          activities will start and finish on time, this has made events run less
                          stressfully and more smoothly.

                          --
                          Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

                          -----------------------------
                          Habeo metrum - musicamque,
                          hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
                          -Georgeus Gershwinus
                          -----------------------------
                        • Scott
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                            In Caid I was familiar with both time-&-culture households and with cooking
                            households; in Meridies/Gleann Abhann,

                            I headed up a generic A&S household and was a member of another household
                            that specialized in Comedia dell' Arte-

                            a very time-&-culture-focused thespian art. Everyone in my personal
                            household was either a Laurel or an apprentice

                            and all entered A&S competitions at all levels: shire, barony, principality,
                            kingdom. We offered various A&S classes

                            in our home. I was only familiar with two other households: one for Vikings
                            and one for SCA politics. I was too busy

                            in Meridies/Gleann Abhann to notice what other households were doing.

                            Colm Dubh
                          • CLEY
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 10, 2010

                              > Antonio wrote:
                              > Now now have pocket-sized printed timetables and a bell chimes the hours
                              > from 8:00am to 8:00pm. .......

                              We actually do something very similar here--our Town Criers have
                              scheduled announcement times, and remind people when the next one is, if
                              they have anything that needs announcing around then.

                              I live in An Tir's Herald Central, so a shortage of heralds here is very
                              seldom an issue. However, here even a mid-size event can be very spread
                              out/have very strange accoustics (lots of hills and rivers and valleys
                              in the sites we use), and that's what we need to be careful about
                              addressing. They do usually announce the printed schedule though.

                              Arlys
                            • Kender
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 11, 2010
                                MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members who receive their list-mail in digest form, we request that you not top post. Please snip those parts of previous messages that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific time Zone Moderator.

                                MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED:

                                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "tuckahoe1607" <tom.apple@...> wrote:

                                > (...)
                                > I am acquainted with folks in Das Teufels Alpendrucken Fahnlein and also with Gardiners from my volunteer work at Jamestown Settlement.
                                >
                                > I'm looking more toward 14th c./Hundred Years War. I've contacted La Belle Compagnie and am looking into that group. I was about wondering groups of that period within the SCA.

                                I'm a long-time member of Das Teufels Alpdruecken Fahnlein and of the SCA. Most of the group are not SCA members, but we used to do the occasional event with Kurriere des Todes. Unfortunately our webpage is out of date but feel free to email me with any questions.

                                There's an extensive list of living history units on http://www.reenactor.net - also out of date. I wish I had more time to work on webpages.

                                Coming to the most relevant portion of this post: A number of the members of Lord Grey's Retinue ( http://www.lordgreys.org/ ) are also very active in the SCA, and live in the DC/northern VA area (baronies of Storvik and Ponte Alto).

                                -Kunigunde