Re: [Authentic_SCA] Authentic SCA groups in Mid -Atlantic States

  • Greg Lindahl
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 7, 2010
      On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 11:44:48PM -0000, tuckahoe1607 wrote:

      > I am curious if there are any authenticity inclined groups in the Mid-Atlantic region, mostly PA to NC that are like that.

      Gardiner's Company is one example:

      http://www.gardinerscompany.org/

      They're Elizabethan, and centered on MD/VA.

      There are also some 14th century groups in that area.

      -- Gregory
    • tuckahoe1607
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 8, 2010
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "britt" <nerdgirl@...> wrote:

        > There are smaller groups (or households) within a shire or barony that are historically driven. I, myself, am in a Landsknecht unit in Eisental (sate of PA.) We do SCA events as well as reenactments outside the SCA.

        Lady Magdalena and Greg L.,

        Thank you very much for your replies and suggestions.

        I am acquainted with folks in Das Teufels Alpendrucken Fahnlein and also with Gardiners from my volunteer work at Jamestown Settlement.

        I'm looking more toward 14th c./Hundred Years War. I've contacted La Belle Compagnie and am looking into that group. I was about wondering groups of that period within the SCA.

        Cheers,

        Tom A.
      • Scott
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 8, 2010
          MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members who receive their list-mail in digest form, we request that you not top post. Please snip those parts of previous messages that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific time Zone Moderator.

          REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED:

          SCA territorial groups may not "gravitate toward one period." Households
          and war bands-not being

          official SCA groups-not only may but very often do "gravitate toward one
          period." The level of authenticity

          varies greatly by group. To all who sneer, "SCA is not the Society for
          Compulsive Authenticity, I always

          reply, "Neither is it the Society for Cutesy Anarchism." I then ask which
          view best supports our tax

          status as an educational organization.

          Colm Dubh
        • Antonia Calvo
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 8, 2010
            Scott wrote:
            > SCA territorial groups may not "gravitate toward one period." Households
            > and war bands-not being official SCA groups-not only may but very often do "gravitate toward one
            > period."
            Yer what? Territorial groups can gravitate all they like-- it's just a
            function of common interests. Provided they're not trying to re-define
            the acceptable time period (which I think goes well beyond the intention
            of the word "gravitate"), I don't see the problem. Households and war
            bands can go a lot further, in that they can say outright that what they
            are doing is a cold Thursday Nurnburg, January 1462 if they really,
            really want to.

            --
            Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

            -----------------------------
            Habeo metrum - musicamque,
            hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
            -Georgeus Gershwinus
            -----------------------------
          • Scott
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 8, 2010
              MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members who receive their list-mail in digest form, we request that you not top post. Please snip those parts of previous messages that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific time Zone Moderator.

              I am stating that a territorial group may not favor any one time period, culture, or geographical area over any others within our mission statement. Royalty may conduct their courts as though they
              were from a specific time period and culture: their doing so adds to the ambiance. Feasts may reflect specific times and cultures; events (tourneys, etc.) may do so likewise-also to our benefit.

              To my mind the most valuable benefit that a household brings to the SCA is its customary focus on specific times and cultures, allowing a more in-depth exploration of that time and culture-a focus that is quite inappropriate for a territorial group-which must welcome equally all members from any covered times and cultures.

              Colm Dubh
            • Jessica Ackerman
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 8, 2010
                Colm wrote:

                I am stating that a territorial group may not favor any one time period,
                culture, or geographical area over any others within our mission statement.

                I replied:

                Officially no, a territorial group cannot specifically focus on only one
                time period, culture or geographic area. But what does tend to happen is
                that people who live/work/play together have a tendency to dress alike, or
                at least similarly. "Oh hey, that X is really cool! Can you show me/us/the
                group how to make it?" And pretty soon, everyone has an X.

                The important point of this discussion is: *No one can be left out because
                they choose a time period/culture/geographical area that may not be typical
                for the territorial group.*

                Alexandra Vazquez de Granada

                (A late era Spaniard amongst early era Vikings in her local group)

              • Schrecht
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                  The moderators request all posts to this list be signed, please. Thank you, Despina de la moderator

                  Colm Dubh wrote:

                  > I am stating that a territorial group may not favor any one time period, culture, or
                  > geographical area over any others within our mission statement

                  Have you ever been to Calontir?
                • Scott
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                    Had you quoted the message to which I replied, it would be clear that

                    I was not arguing against something that wasn't said. If I stepped

                    on someone's toes, so be it. Authenticity often does.

                    Colm

                    N. Scott Catledge, PhD/STD

                    Professor Emeritus

                    history & languages

                    Colm Dubh
                  • George A. Trosper
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                      Antonia Calvo wrote:
                      > Territorial groups can gravitate all they like--it's just a
                      > function of common interests.
                      In the early days of the Barony of Loch Salann, there were unusually
                      strong numbers of Vikings, Japanese, and heralds.
                      --Gerard
                    • George A. Trosper
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                        Scott wrote:
                        > To my mind the most valuable benefit that a household brings to the SCA is its customary focus on specific times and cultures, allowing a more in-depth exploration of that time and culture--a focus that is quite inappropriate for a territorial group--which must welcome equally all members from any covered times and cultures.
                        >
                        > Colm Dubh
                        True about the territorial group. But some households are built around
                        other kernels. Hadrian House in my Barony is a number of musicians and
                        their not-necessarily-musical friends, allied for mutual benefit and
                        support in attending revels with comfortable food and sometimes shelter.
                        Hold Tyte is a family group (including in-laws) plus friends with
                        interests in armoring and bardic circles.

                        In your part of the world, do time-&-culture households predominate?

                        --Gerard
                      • christopher chastain
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                          Sounds alot like the early days of Trimaris and my shire Castlemere, very heavy on the Celts and their decendants

                          Yours in Humble Service,
                          Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
                          Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

                          "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it!"
                        • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                            > In the early days of the Barony of Loch Salann, there were
                            > unusually
                            > strong numbers of Vikings, Japanese, and heralds.
                            > --Gerard

                            oh, no...
                            Not heralds!
                            there goes the neighborhood!

                            Capt Elias

                          • christopher chastain

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                                christopher chastain wrote:

                                > Hey Captn,
                                >
                                > Just remember the line from 13th warrior when you have too many
                                > heralds. Silk Suited messengers, always brings a smile to my face
                                > especially when trying to get something registered or at 8am at a
                                > event. Im trying to design a herald trap for my households encampment.
                                > Something that will keep them from waking us up at oh my god 30.

                                Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
                                of the event?

                                Back in the day when I still was able to camp, I also found that
                                offering a voice herald a hot beverage at o-dark-thirty was also very
                                much appreciated.

                                Just remember that a good voice herald can be heard up to half a mile. A
                                GREAT one can go a mile or further, and not even work up the teeniest of
                                vocal chord strains! ;-)

                                Arlys,
                                Dragon's Mist (home of the Knowne World Heraldic and Scribal Symposium
                                this weekend!)
                                An Tir
                              • Greg Lindahl
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                                  On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 02:03:18PM -0700, CLEY wrote:

                                  > Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
                                  > of the event?

                                  Arlys,

                                  The whole gravitation subthread wasn't ever really on topic for this
                                  mailing list, and it's drifting even farther so.

                                  -- Gregory
                                • Antonia Calvo
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                                    CLEY wrote:
                                    >> Just remember the line from 13th warrior when you have too many
                                    >> heralds. Silk Suited messengers, always brings a smile to my face
                                    >> especially when trying to get something registered or at 8am at a
                                    >> event. Im trying to design a herald trap for my households encampment.
                                    >> Something that will keep them from waking us up at oh my god 30.
                                    >>

                                    > Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
                                    > of the event?

                                    Oo, I know, I know! Constructive suggestions made before the next event!

                                    > Back in the day when I still was able to camp, I also found that
                                    > offering a voice herald a hot beverage at o-dark-thirty was also very
                                    > much appreciated.

                                    We actually radically reduced the amount of voice heraldry at camping
                                    events. We used to have most scheduled activities announced by
                                    heralds. There were some real problems with this-- it was hard to get
                                    enough heralds to do all those announcements, and people tended to
                                    switch off their brains-- resulting in a slightly shambling schedule and
                                    complaints from people who didn't get to the activity they wanted
                                    because the herald "missed" them (or they just weren't paying attention).

                                    Now now have pocket-sized printed timetables and a bell chimes the hours
                                    from 8:00am to 8:00pm. Heralds announce Court, any changes to the
                                    schedule and make any announcements requested, but do *not* announce
                                    anything that's happening as printed. Combined with an expectation that
                                    activities will start and finish on time, this has made events run less
                                    stressfully and more smoothly.

                                    --
                                    Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

                                    -----------------------------
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                                      In Caid I was familiar with both time-&-culture households and with cooking
                                      households; in Meridies/Gleann Abhann,

                                      I headed up a generic A&S household and was a member of another household
                                      that specialized in Comedia dell' Arte-

                                      a very time-&-culture-focused thespian art. Everyone in my personal
                                      household was either a Laurel or an apprentice

                                      and all entered A&S competitions at all levels: shire, barony, principality,
                                      kingdom. We offered various A&S classes

                                      in our home. I was only familiar with two other households: one for Vikings
                                      and one for SCA politics. I was too busy

                                      in Meridies/Gleann Abhann to notice what other households were doing.

                                      Colm Dubh
                                    • CLEY
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 10, 2010

                                        > Antonio wrote:
                                        > Now now have pocket-sized printed timetables and a bell chimes the hours
                                        > from 8:00am to 8:00pm. .......

                                        We actually do something very similar here--our Town Criers have
                                        scheduled announcement times, and remind people when the next one is, if
                                        they have anything that needs announcing around then.

                                        I live in An Tir's Herald Central, so a shortage of heralds here is very
                                        seldom an issue. However, here even a mid-size event can be very spread
                                        out/have very strange accoustics (lots of hills and rivers and valleys
                                        in the sites we use), and that's what we need to be careful about
                                        addressing. They do usually announce the printed schedule though.

                                        Arlys
                                      • Kender
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 11, 2010
                                          MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members who receive their list-mail in digest form, we request that you not top post. Please snip those parts of previous messages that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific time Zone Moderator.

                                          MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED:

                                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "tuckahoe1607" <tom.apple@...> wrote:

                                          > (...)
                                          > I am acquainted with folks in Das Teufels Alpendrucken Fahnlein and also with Gardiners from my volunteer work at Jamestown Settlement.
                                          >
                                          > I'm looking more toward 14th c./Hundred Years War. I've contacted La Belle Compagnie and am looking into that group. I was about wondering groups of that period within the SCA.

                                          I'm a long-time member of Das Teufels Alpdruecken Fahnlein and of the SCA. Most of the group are not SCA members, but we used to do the occasional event with Kurriere des Todes. Unfortunately our webpage is out of date but feel free to email me with any questions.

                                          There's an extensive list of living history units on http://www.reenactor.net - also out of date. I wish I had more time to work on webpages.

                                          Coming to the most relevant portion of this post: A number of the members of Lord Grey's Retinue ( http://www.lordgreys.org/ ) are also very active in the SCA, and live in the DC/northern VA area (baronies of Storvik and Ponte Alto).

                                          -Kunigunde