Authentic SCA groups in Mid -Atlantic States

  • tuckahoe1607
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 7, 2010
      Hello All,

      I realize that it is commonplace for SCA baronies(?) to have a mixture of folks from the entire span of the Middle Ages. Are there any SCA groups that tend to gravitate more toward one period, like the Hundred Years War or something like that?

      I am curious if there are any authenticity inclined groups in the Mid-Atlantic region, mostly PA to NC that are like that.

      I really have only a peripheral knowledge of how the SCA works. I went to one Pennsic War back in the late 1980's. I know it has changed a bit since then and I am impressed by the levels of scholarly work coming out of the SCA and efforts to toward authenticity by folks like those on this forum.

      Any guidance would be appreciated.

      Regards,

      Tom A.
    • britt
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 7, 2010
        There are smaller groups (or households) within a shire or barony that are historically driven. I, myself, am in a Landsknecht unit in Eisental (sate of PA.) We do SCA events as well as reenactments outside the SCA. If you would like to know more about the Landsknect unit contact me off list.
        Lady Magdalena auf KDT
        nerdgirl@...

        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "tuckahoe1607" <tom.apple@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I realize that it is commonplace for SCA baronies(?) to have a mixture of folks from the entire span of the Middle Ages. Are there any SCA groups that tend to gravitate more toward one period, like the Hundred Years War or something like that?
        >
        > I am curious if there are any authenticity inclined groups in the Mid-Atlantic region, mostly PA to NC that are like that.

      • Greg Lindahl
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 7, 2010
          On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 11:44:48PM -0000, tuckahoe1607 wrote:

          > I am curious if there are any authenticity inclined groups in the Mid-Atlantic region, mostly PA to NC that are like that.

          Gardiner's Company is one example:

          http://www.gardinerscompany.org/

          They're Elizabethan, and centered on MD/VA.

          There are also some 14th century groups in that area.

          -- Gregory
        • tuckahoe1607
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 8, 2010
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "britt" <nerdgirl@...> wrote:

            > There are smaller groups (or households) within a shire or barony that are historically driven. I, myself, am in a Landsknecht unit in Eisental (sate of PA.) We do SCA events as well as reenactments outside the SCA.

            Lady Magdalena and Greg L.,

            Thank you very much for your replies and suggestions.

            I am acquainted with folks in Das Teufels Alpendrucken Fahnlein and also with Gardiners from my volunteer work at Jamestown Settlement.

            I'm looking more toward 14th c./Hundred Years War. I've contacted La Belle Compagnie and am looking into that group. I was about wondering groups of that period within the SCA.

            Cheers,

            Tom A.
          • Scott
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 8, 2010
              MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members who receive their list-mail in digest form, we request that you not top post. Please snip those parts of previous messages that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific time Zone Moderator.

              REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED:

              SCA territorial groups may not "gravitate toward one period." Households
              and war bands-not being

              official SCA groups-not only may but very often do "gravitate toward one
              period." The level of authenticity

              varies greatly by group. To all who sneer, "SCA is not the Society for
              Compulsive Authenticity, I always

              reply, "Neither is it the Society for Cutesy Anarchism." I then ask which
              view best supports our tax

              status as an educational organization.

              Colm Dubh
            • Antonia Calvo
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 8, 2010
                Scott wrote:
                > SCA territorial groups may not "gravitate toward one period." Households
                > and war bands-not being official SCA groups-not only may but very often do "gravitate toward one
                > period."
                Yer what? Territorial groups can gravitate all they like-- it's just a
                function of common interests. Provided they're not trying to re-define
                the acceptable time period (which I think goes well beyond the intention
                of the word "gravitate"), I don't see the problem. Households and war
                bands can go a lot further, in that they can say outright that what they
                are doing is a cold Thursday Nurnburg, January 1462 if they really,
                really want to.

                --
                Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

                -----------------------------
                Habeo metrum - musicamque,
                hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
                -Georgeus Gershwinus
                -----------------------------
              • Scott
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 8, 2010
                  MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members who receive their list-mail in digest form, we request that you not top post. Please snip those parts of previous messages that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific time Zone Moderator.

                  I am stating that a territorial group may not favor any one time period, culture, or geographical area over any others within our mission statement. Royalty may conduct their courts as though they
                  were from a specific time period and culture: their doing so adds to the ambiance. Feasts may reflect specific times and cultures; events (tourneys, etc.) may do so likewise-also to our benefit.

                  To my mind the most valuable benefit that a household brings to the SCA is its customary focus on specific times and cultures, allowing a more in-depth exploration of that time and culture-a focus that is quite inappropriate for a territorial group-which must welcome equally all members from any covered times and cultures.

                  Colm Dubh
                • Jessica Ackerman
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 8, 2010
                    Colm wrote:

                    I am stating that a territorial group may not favor any one time period,
                    culture, or geographical area over any others within our mission statement.

                    I replied:

                    Officially no, a territorial group cannot specifically focus on only one
                    time period, culture or geographic area. But what does tend to happen is
                    that people who live/work/play together have a tendency to dress alike, or
                    at least similarly. "Oh hey, that X is really cool! Can you show me/us/the
                    group how to make it?" And pretty soon, everyone has an X.

                    The important point of this discussion is: *No one can be left out because
                    they choose a time period/culture/geographical area that may not be typical
                    for the territorial group.*

                    Alexandra Vazquez de Granada

                    (A late era Spaniard amongst early era Vikings in her local group)

                  • Schrecht
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                      The moderators request all posts to this list be signed, please. Thank you, Despina de la moderator

                      Colm Dubh wrote:

                      > I am stating that a territorial group may not favor any one time period, culture, or
                      > geographical area over any others within our mission statement

                      Have you ever been to Calontir?
                    • Scott
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                        Had you quoted the message to which I replied, it would be clear that

                        I was not arguing against something that wasn't said. If I stepped

                        on someone's toes, so be it. Authenticity often does.

                        Colm

                        N. Scott Catledge, PhD/STD

                        Professor Emeritus

                        history & languages

                        Colm Dubh
                      • George A. Trosper
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                          Antonia Calvo wrote:
                          > Territorial groups can gravitate all they like--it's just a
                          > function of common interests.
                          In the early days of the Barony of Loch Salann, there were unusually
                          strong numbers of Vikings, Japanese, and heralds.
                          --Gerard
                        • George A. Trosper
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                            Scott wrote:
                            > To my mind the most valuable benefit that a household brings to the SCA is its customary focus on specific times and cultures, allowing a more in-depth exploration of that time and culture--a focus that is quite inappropriate for a territorial group--which must welcome equally all members from any covered times and cultures.
                            >
                            > Colm Dubh
                            True about the territorial group. But some households are built around
                            other kernels. Hadrian House in my Barony is a number of musicians and
                            their not-necessarily-musical friends, allied for mutual benefit and
                            support in attending revels with comfortable food and sometimes shelter.
                            Hold Tyte is a family group (including in-laws) plus friends with
                            interests in armoring and bardic circles.

                            In your part of the world, do time-&-culture households predominate?

                            --Gerard
                          • christopher chastain
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                              Sounds alot like the early days of Trimaris and my shire Castlemere, very heavy on the Celts and their decendants

                              Yours in Humble Service,
                              Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
                              Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

                              "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it!"
                            • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                                > In the early days of the Barony of Loch Salann, there were
                                > unusually
                                > strong numbers of Vikings, Japanese, and heralds.
                                > --Gerard

                                oh, no...
                                Not heralds!
                                there goes the neighborhood!

                                Capt Elias

                              • christopher chastain

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                                    christopher chastain wrote:

                                    > Hey Captn,
                                    >
                                    > Just remember the line from 13th warrior when you have too many
                                    > heralds. Silk Suited messengers, always brings a smile to my face
                                    > especially when trying to get something registered or at 8am at a
                                    > event. Im trying to design a herald trap for my households encampment.
                                    > Something that will keep them from waking us up at oh my god 30.

                                    Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
                                    of the event?

                                    Back in the day when I still was able to camp, I also found that
                                    offering a voice herald a hot beverage at o-dark-thirty was also very
                                    much appreciated.

                                    Just remember that a good voice herald can be heard up to half a mile. A
                                    GREAT one can go a mile or further, and not even work up the teeniest of
                                    vocal chord strains! ;-)

                                    Arlys,
                                    Dragon's Mist (home of the Knowne World Heraldic and Scribal Symposium
                                    this weekend!)
                                    An Tir
                                  • Greg Lindahl
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                                      On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 02:03:18PM -0700, CLEY wrote:

                                      > Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
                                      > of the event?

                                      Arlys,

                                      The whole gravitation subthread wasn't ever really on topic for this
                                      mailing list, and it's drifting even farther so.

                                      -- Gregory
                                    • Antonia Calvo
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                                        CLEY wrote:
                                        >> Just remember the line from 13th warrior when you have too many
                                        >> heralds. Silk Suited messengers, always brings a smile to my face
                                        >> especially when trying to get something registered or at 8am at a
                                        >> event. Im trying to design a herald trap for my households encampment.
                                        >> Something that will keep them from waking us up at oh my god 30.
                                        >>

                                        > Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
                                        > of the event?

                                        Oo, I know, I know! Constructive suggestions made before the next event!

                                        > Back in the day when I still was able to camp, I also found that
                                        > offering a voice herald a hot beverage at o-dark-thirty was also very
                                        > much appreciated.

                                        We actually radically reduced the amount of voice heraldry at camping
                                        events. We used to have most scheduled activities announced by
                                        heralds. There were some real problems with this-- it was hard to get
                                        enough heralds to do all those announcements, and people tended to
                                        switch off their brains-- resulting in a slightly shambling schedule and
                                        complaints from people who didn't get to the activity they wanted
                                        because the herald "missed" them (or they just weren't paying attention).

                                        Now now have pocket-sized printed timetables and a bell chimes the hours
                                        from 8:00am to 8:00pm. Heralds announce Court, any changes to the
                                        schedule and make any announcements requested, but do *not* announce
                                        anything that's happening as printed. Combined with an expectation that
                                        activities will start and finish on time, this has made events run less
                                        stressfully and more smoothly.

                                        --
                                        Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

                                        -----------------------------
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 9, 2010
                                          In Caid I was familiar with both time-&-culture households and with cooking
                                          households; in Meridies/Gleann Abhann,

                                          I headed up a generic A&S household and was a member of another household
                                          that specialized in Comedia dell' Arte-

                                          a very time-&-culture-focused thespian art. Everyone in my personal
                                          household was either a Laurel or an apprentice

                                          and all entered A&S competitions at all levels: shire, barony, principality,
                                          kingdom. We offered various A&S classes

                                          in our home. I was only familiar with two other households: one for Vikings
                                          and one for SCA politics. I was too busy

                                          in Meridies/Gleann Abhann to notice what other households were doing.

                                          Colm Dubh
                                        • CLEY
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jun 10, 2010

                                            > Antonio wrote:
                                            > Now now have pocket-sized printed timetables and a bell chimes the hours
                                            > from 8:00am to 8:00pm. .......

                                            We actually do something very similar here--our Town Criers have
                                            scheduled announcement times, and remind people when the next one is, if
                                            they have anything that needs announcing around then.

                                            I live in An Tir's Herald Central, so a shortage of heralds here is very
                                            seldom an issue. However, here even a mid-size event can be very spread
                                            out/have very strange accoustics (lots of hills and rivers and valleys
                                            in the sites we use), and that's what we need to be careful about
                                            addressing. They do usually announce the printed schedule though.

                                            Arlys
                                          • Kender
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jun 11, 2010
                                              MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our members who receive their list-mail in digest form, we request that you not top post. Please snip those parts of previous messages that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific time Zone Moderator.

                                              MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED:

                                              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "tuckahoe1607" <tom.apple@...> wrote:

                                              > (...)
                                              > I am acquainted with folks in Das Teufels Alpendrucken Fahnlein and also with Gardiners from my volunteer work at Jamestown Settlement.
                                              >
                                              > I'm looking more toward 14th c./Hundred Years War. I've contacted La Belle Compagnie and am looking into that group. I was about wondering groups of that period within the SCA.

                                              I'm a long-time member of Das Teufels Alpdruecken Fahnlein and of the SCA. Most of the group are not SCA members, but we used to do the occasional event with Kurriere des Todes. Unfortunately our webpage is out of date but feel free to email me with any questions.

                                              There's an extensive list of living history units on http://www.reenactor.net - also out of date. I wish I had more time to work on webpages.

                                              Coming to the most relevant portion of this post: A number of the members of Lord Grey's Retinue ( http://www.lordgreys.org/ ) are also very active in the SCA, and live in the DC/northern VA area (baronies of Storvik and Ponte Alto).

                                              -Kunigunde