Re: Museums in Washington DC

  • gardinladi
    Message 1 of 8 , May 26, 2010
      I would agree with the Folger Shakespeare library--its not very big at all, so it will not take very long, but it has some wonderful display cases of Elizabethan artifacts and documents.

      In particular, I was fascinated by an exhibit at the Natural History Museum. It is slightly out of period, but it deals with the forensic anthropolgy of the skeletons and archaelogy of the 17th century early colonies of the Chesapeake and Jamestown areas.

      http://anthropology.si.edu/writteninbone/

      I think the National Portrait Gallery also had a few 16th century paintings as well.

      The National Archives has the Declaration of Independence, but also a copy of the Magna Carta.

      DC is my son's favorite place to go on spring break, we have been twice so far per his request. Good kid!

      Jocelyn of Lutterworth
      Tree Girt Sea, Midrealm
    • Madame du Pont
      Message 2 of 8 , May 26, 2010
        MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top post. Thank you.
        Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

        MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED:

        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Samia al-Kaslaania <samia@...> wrote:
        > With the SCA in mind, which museums would you recommend in DC?

        Bonjour Sayyeda al-Kaslaania.
        In April I was down in LA for a banquet where my dad was getting inducted into the Motorcycle Hall of Fame for race promotions in the 70o's. It was like a family reunion. While my daughter-in-law was looking for a dress, my two sons and I went to a book store in an old department store. I found a biography on a PAINTING. It was the panel done by Raphael of St. George slaying the Dragon. Now Cia, in the Shire of Briaroak (Roseburg, OR) painted that picture onto a shield, so I got the book with him in mind, knowing I would see him in about a week. So I started reading the book. I had never seen a biography on a painting before. It was well written and the author went to places like where Raphael lived, and who had ownership of the painting throughout the ages. She explained the importance of St. George at the time and the Order of the Garter, etc. Well, I read about half of the book before I gifted it, but had to turn to the last few pages to see where it is now: The National Museum, Room 20, Washington, D.C.

        Please let me know if you actually see it and how you felt about it. Whether you get there or not, I hope you have a wonderful trip.
        With the Smithsonians, there are a lot of different ones,which are fantastic. I have been to 3 of them. Each one takes all day to go through.

        Cheers,
        Madame du Pont
        Shire de Tymberhavene (Home of the An Tir/West War, July 1-5)
        Kingdom d'An Tir

        PS I am doing my second Persona Challenge/Class June 5th at War of the Trees in the Shire of Tymberhavene (Coquille, OR)
      • Conrad Kienast
        Message 3 of 8 , May 26, 2010
          MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our other members, please do not top post. Please sign your posts. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

          REPEATED MESSAGE DELETED.

          We had a great time at the Shakespere Theatre.  There is a small museum there.  Excellent illuminations and arms/armour.
        • Karen
          Message 4 of 8 , May 27, 2010
            You can find a list of some of the museums with SCA-period stuff in Washington, DC at http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?action=displaycat&catid=1142

            I'd especially recommend the Folger Shakespeare Library (www.folger.edu), the National Gallery of Art (www.nga.gov), and the National Cathedral and its medieval gardens (www.cathedral.org).

            I've also set up my blog so that you can find temporary museum exhibitions in a specific city by going to the city's tag -- so you can find DC exhibitions at http://larsdatter.com/wordpress/?tag=washington-dc
            (or Baltimore exhibitions at http://larsdatter.com/wordpress/?tag=baltimore%c2%a0too!)

            If you're visiting the area in June, be sure to catch some of the concerts in the Washington Early Music Festival -- www.earlymusicdc.org -- this year's Festival has a theme of early French music, but there's several concerts and workshops relating to medieval French music in particular.

            (You can also visit http://www.earlymusicdc.org/emdc/concerts/index.htm%c2%a0to find DC-area medieval music concerts through the rest of the year, too; the DC area generally has at least one early music concert every week between about September and May, but the calendar for 2010-2011 is still waiting on a bunch of ensembles and venues to announce their schedules.)

            Karen Larsdatter
            www.larsdatter.com