Re: [Authentic_SCA] Elizabethan monk

  • lariandrobert@fuse.net
    Message 1 of 11 , May 10, 2010
      ---- "George A. Trosper" <gtrosper@...> wrote:
      > Chris Laning wrote:
      > > Dominicans and Franciscans are both friars, and I believe Carmelites are too.
      > Apparently the huge majority are, although there's at least one group
      > calling themselves Carmelite *monks* up in Wyoming. According to their
      > web-site - http://www.carmelitemonks.org/Aboutmonks.html - they're
      > cloistered, which means they don't go out the way friars do, run
      > parishes, etc., so they're using the word strictly. Without further
      > research, I'd bet that this situation is very new, so not SCA-relevant,
      > tho clearly 21st-c. relevant.
      Not at all! The 16th century reform of Juan de la Cruz and Smilin' Terry was about making the discalced Carmelites monchas MORE cloistered, getting them farther out of the world, if possible. They saw this as a return to primitive practice, of course. Whether that view is based in objective reality or wishful thinking is largelt irrelevant SCA recreation.
      Malcolm