Re: Elizabethan monk

  • MaryL
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2010
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "George A. Trosper" <gtrosper@...> wrote:

      > As Gerard, I shall somehow die at age 79 on the Pilgrimage of Grace, in
      > 1536 (16 years from my current "now"), when many of us Northerners rise
      > up and declare "you will NOT do this to our Church!"
      [...]
      > Of course you'd be welcome to flee to any SCA Barony, Province, Shire,
      > or other unit *after* the Dissolution and tell horror stories for the
      > rest of your life to anyone who'd listen. [...]

      Now this kind of thing is one of many reasons why I love reading this list!!!

      On those few occasions when someone has added the story of "how I came to this Kingdom from Shrewsbury / Antioch / Genoa / Stratford-atte-Bowe / the court of the Khan / etc." to his or her persona's life history, I always enjoy hearing the tale. To me, it's the icing on the persona cake. :-)

      Adelicia di Rienzi
      (Mary Llewellyn)
    • lariandrobert@fuse.net
      Message 2 of 11 , May 10, 2010
        ---- "George A. Trosper" <gtrosper@...> wrote:
        > Chris Laning wrote:
        > > Dominicans and Franciscans are both friars, and I believe Carmelites are too.
        > Apparently the huge majority are, although there's at least one group
        > calling themselves Carmelite *monks* up in Wyoming. According to their
        > web-site - http://www.carmelitemonks.org/Aboutmonks.html - they're
        > cloistered, which means they don't go out the way friars do, run
        > parishes, etc., so they're using the word strictly. Without further
        > research, I'd bet that this situation is very new, so not SCA-relevant,
        > tho clearly 21st-c. relevant.
        Not at all! The 16th century reform of Juan de la Cruz and Smilin' Terry was about making the discalced Carmelites monchas MORE cloistered, getting them farther out of the world, if possible. They saw this as a return to primitive practice, of course. Whether that view is based in objective reality or wishful thinking is largelt irrelevant SCA recreation.
        Malcolm