Elizabethan monks?

  • eldwin_nightowl
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2010
      I want to have relatively authentic Franciscan garb of the Elizabethan era. I realize there's a problem--The Dissolution of the Monasteries, which began under King Henry VIII, started closing down the monasteries. But it looks like some, at least, continued into Queen Elizabeth's time.

      Does anyone have info or a link to a pattern for an authentic robe? I've looked at several sources on the Internet, but I'm not sure how reliable they are. The other thing is I might be willing to slightly sacrifice absolute authenticity if it will mean I won't end run running around in summer heat wearing 100% wool.

      SIGNED EDIWN NIGHTOWL
    • Honour Horne-Jaruk
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2010
        Respected friends:

        --- On Fri, 5/7/10, eldwin_nightowl <eldwin@...> wrote:
        I want to have relatively authentic Franciscan garb of the Elizabethan era. (snip) The other thing is I might be willing to slightly sacrifice absolute authenticity if it will mean I won't end run running around in summer heat wearing 100% wool.

        SIGNED EDIWN NIGHTOWL

        I wear 100% wool all summer long, and it's just about my most comfortable garment. The trick is to get summer-weight wool, the stuff used for making summer weight business suits.
        Wool comes in weaves so fine they're semi-transparent. (I own such a blouse.) Although they're not as cheap as heavier wool, the garments last so incredibly long that it ends up being a bargain. My wool tunic was made for a friend's pregnancy, and the child is now 30!

        Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-

        (Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.

        Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

        FORTE EST VINUM, FORTIOR EST REX, FORTIORES SUNT MULIERES: SUPER OMNIA VINCIT VERITAS

      • eldwin_nightowl
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2010
          MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we ask that you not top post. Please delete any text which does not require repetition.

          Please also sign your posts. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator

          Thank you! I'd like to be more-or-authentic and comfortable at the same time.

          Eldwin Nightowl